Tuesday 16 May 2017

GARDENING - FIRST IN A SERIES OF ERRATIC POSTS

Having decided to cut down on working hours will give me more time for other pursuits.
With weekly income being halved until kind Mr English gives me my superannuation in a couple of months though I'll have to be careful what I spend.

Yesterday I went to the supermarket for my weekly shop having decided to make three dishes in quantities that can be frozen for future meals:


  • Meatloaf
  • Thai Chicken Curry
  • Chicken and vegetable soup.
The meatloaf recipe doesn't require vegetable other than onion, spring onion, garlic and capsicum.

The Thai Chicken Curry recipe calls for carrot, spring onion, capsicum and bamboo shoots (canned).

The Chicken and vegetable soup calls for a lot of fresh vegetables - broccoli, cauliflower, potato, carrots, pumpkin, onion, garlic, potato, capsicum and lots of other interesting things.

When making my purchases I was gob-smacked at how costly the fresh vegetables were compared to how much they were only a couple of weeks ago.



I didn't buy cauliflower, beans and broccoli opting for leeks, turnip and swede instead.

That's it, I decided, I'm going to sort out my vege. garden.

Now my vegetable garden is less like The Garden of Eden:














And more like Bosch's Garden of Earthly Delights:











Here's a pic of how it looks like today:





I think it needs a bit of attention.

3 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Now I know why the English language needs a term like 'boring'. PLease, please, please, don't make this a series of posts. I'm going back to reread Robert's 'talking in tongues' series. Sorry, but I won't be back until the gardening thing passes by.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Actually that's how mine looked. I just pulled out the spuds and mint .In your case you could start a new lawn! Underneath you'll find good compost.
I've tried a new idea of planting everything randomly like in nature. Weeds do not grow in rows. Mine is a mix of edible vegetables. I reason that a snail will find a lettuce, chew a bit and move on to a silver beat plant then die or give up. Though I could be wrong.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Ahhhhhhhh!