Friday 30 September 2011

INSTANT GRATIFICATION


I was channel surfing and came across The X Factor which is yet another of those bloody Simon Cowell American TV programmes about wannabees  looking for the big chance. Apart from the ageing nutters most are from the younger generations (in plural because I am now officially an old fucker) and have been brought up being told how wonderful they are.
question: Do you think that Frank Sinatra's, Judy Garland's, John Lennon's, Thelonius Monk's and Miles Davis' parents (to draw from millions of super accomplished artists) told them in their formative years that they were 'brilliant', 'the best' , "'awesome' etc.? I think not. I'm not saying that encouragement is a bad thing but when overdone it can be destructive. Having young people coming through with over-inflated impressions of their capabilities is destructive - the others around them in the sense that it can be bloody annoying, and to themselves in that at worst it can lead to disillusionment amd maybe suicide.

I can't think of any good that has come out of 'instant'. I hate instant coffee. Instant noodles and other types of instant foods are unsatisfying and most likely dangerous to health. I know that we all want instant wealth:


and I am guilty of buying those lotto tickets every week but we have to get away from this. The new culture we are breeding is dangerous and unhealthy.


We need to nurture a sense of achievement and accomplishment in our young people that will........

oops, sorry, I've got to go. South Africa vs. Samoa game is starting and I need my fix........

9 comments:

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

That was instantly non-fascinating...what do you mean you've got to go...YOU keep control, not the bloody TV

Anonymous said...

"I'm not saying that encouragement is a bad thing but when overdone it can be destructive"

Yes.I heard someone on Radio NZ saying it makes children feel like they always have to win and hence suffer excessively when they loose.

Tracey said...

Spot on! I was saying much the same myself today. Telling children that if they dream it then they can achieve it, is clearly a lie. If every young boy did nothing but train to the best of their abilities, there are still only going to be 15 All Blacks on the field. Teach contentment in simple pleasures and in treating others lovingly.

Richard (of RBB) said...

I showed a year 9 class a video of two old jazz players doing a bass duet (arco & pizz). I told them that bowing the bass takes lots of practice.
One student asked,
"Is that why they're so old?"
Well, good bowing does take a bloody long time, but that's where the satisfaction comes from.
Maybe all students should be taught to play the double bass; though not the violin because that's a girls' instrument.

Anonymous said...

"not the violin because that's a girls' instrument."
Ok I'll nibble. Science has shown that the stance of a double bassist is less demanding because it resembles the curvature of the spine. A violinist must twist his arm to unnatural distortions akin to Dan Carters leg muscles.

Angry Jesus said...

Wrong Second. Go directly to Hell, do not pass go.
Hey, that's just a little Monopoly joke that me and dad enjoy - no hard feelings.

Angry Jesus said...

Ah, and a message to The Wine Comeinyourpanrs:
Fuck!

Bin Hire said...

All instruments present their own unique challenge.

Anonymous said...

Wrong Bin. Go directly to hell.