Monday 26 September 2011

AAAAA*

* Against Annoying Acronyms And Abbreviations


I have always disliked acronyms and their overuse in all kinds of industry is a bugbear of modern day living. Text messaging using txt particularly pisses me off. I have a 10 year old cellphone which I won't change because it opens out to a QWERTY keyboard so that when I send a text I write it out in full with correct spelling and full punctuation. More recently I am annoyed at internet abbreviations.

This 'LOL' crap and "OMG' and all the stupid acronyms really get to me. Often they are associated with stupid little smiley or sad faces made up by symbols from a keyboard. Fuck! 
It shows how people are becoming lazier with their writing and spelling and frankly not using the brains that they were born with. This stupidity (along with most Hollywood movies, American TV, modern formulaic music, fast food, reality TV and celebrity gossip magazines and websites) simply lowers collective intelligence of the general public - YOU. Surely there must be a backlash soon. As it is there must be many people who get annoyed when they say hi to someone and receive a 'lol' or similar back. 




If there isn't a return to good old fashioned values then the answer may be to resort to something tried and true.







3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally agree :)

THE CURMUDGEON said...

"Totally agree :)"

He says with one of those stupid fucking smiley faces attached. Why don't you throw a 'LOL' or two in for good measure.

Richard (of RBB) said...

AC, I'm totally with you on this. I also hate those stupid smiling faces with no body.
Lol and OMG are the worst and make me want to urinate on the people who use them.