Friday 6 October 2017

HOLY SHIT

I went to a meeting at the Council offices yesterday.  We convened in the main council chamber which was pretty impressive.


 I didn't get to sit in the big fancy chair but did get to chat with the mayor.
I told her that I thought she was doing a good job (what would I know?) which seemed to please her. I guess civic representatives don't get too many compliments.

Before the meeting we had a nice lunch laid on (well, no-one actually laid on it- that would be silly and would have squashed the sandwiches). It was a buffet lined up on a long table.


Before we were able to tuck in however the meeting leader, a council employee called us all to prayer - to say Grace.

I was a bit bemused by this not having been anywhere since I think school days where Grace was said. I then felt a bit embarrassed and sneaked a look around the gathering (about 30 people - all volunteers like me along with council people) to see that most had assumed a prayerful pose. I then felt a bit annoyed and didn't mumble "Amen" like the others at the end of the prayer.

I've always felt that saying Grace is a bit weird. All that 'thanks Lord for providing' crap makes no sense to me. The bloody Council provided the food via a caterer. The Lord (whoever that is) didn't have a hand in it.





3 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Are you sure they didn't mean Lorde? She's generating some interest in NZ. Maybe more tourists (even 2 or 3) visited the north because of her and this meant there was enough left over to pay the caterers after all the other bills were paid. Maybe the 'Ah men!' bit was to celebrate single sex marriages between men?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

No

Richard (of RBB) said...

Blunt.