Monday 2 October 2017

IS IT JUST ME?

Uh oh. I can feel a new series of Posts coming along.

This Post (and maybe the series) is about the unconscious ridiculousness of some news reports or writings ..... hold on, yes I can hear you saying ..... every time that I comment on Robert's blog I bring your attention to this  .... but, onwards.

I subscribe to the NZ Herald via App on my iPad and read this story this afternoon:


CALLING ALL GAMBLERS


All good OK?

Well no actually. The story is about a PHD student researching gamblers addiction and the connection to social anxiety. Retina Rimal (real name) is studying the association between social anxiety and using electronic gaming machines.



Rimal is looking for electronic gaming machine addicts to join an on-line survey to help with the study.
The on-line survey has the incentive for participants to ENTER A DRAW TO WIN one of ten $50 petrol vouchers.

Good old Rimal doesn't hint at any sort or irony in this!

Go figure. It's like that post of Robert's that talked about a Social Welfare Housing resident not being allowed to keep a $2000 dog in the apartment.

Ironic?

5 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

True, except that people with mental health issues don't make good decisions - for fairly obvious reasons. Here lies the paradox of how we deal with things like this example you put forward.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Yes, without knowing the background to that I can glean what you're saying.
But, in that case how could someone or an organisation provide funds ($2000) for a pooch for someone who demonstrably cannot afford it. Or, as Robert says, am I wrong?

Richard (of RBB) said...

I don't know.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Ok here we go...
1. You are lucky I am not Richard because he can be cruel when quoted; I hate to think what he is like when misquoted. You misquote my saying "Though I could be wrong" and instead say "Am I wrong?". I'll let that go.
2. The researcher is undertaking a legitimate and timely look at social phobia/ introversion.
I found it heart warming because, as you know, I have these personality traits.
There is a big difference between gambling and receiving a reward for an action that costs nothing!
Given the choice to listening to extroverted bigmouths who don't let a word in and are often derogatory; or siting quietly at a poke machine I would choose the later.
3. Richard knows the background to the dog issue.
People with mental illness like for example depression can be brilliant earning good money for a while and afford luxuries then it all crashes. They do not weigh up the pros and cons, life is a series of big ups and big downs.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

re 2. It's not a direct reward but a chance to go into a draw to win something. Big difference and one that fuels the addicts desires.

re the rest - who gives a fuck. You sound like Donald Trump trying to trademark the expression "you're fired"