Sunday 17 June 2018

YOU BEAUTY (TUBE)

I've got a bout of diverticulitis at present. This usually lasts for about 5 days and happens once a year on average.



I'm taking a course of antibiotics for it which generally fixes it.
It's painful and annoying though and disrupts sleep and eating patterns. Also I don't feel like drinking any wine which is a good thing as alcohol  doesn't go well with the antibiotics.

Pain during the night is a problem and makes for sleep disruption. Last night I woke at about 1.30 and couldn't get back to sleep. I got up so as to not annoy The Old Girl and read for a while in the kitchen.
I'd been avoiding checking up on any news items on the iPad (Herald app etc) as I didn't know the score from the All Blacks vs France game and was hoping to find it on some TV On demand channel on Sunday. We don't have TV as such just having a Smart TV that isn't hooked up but gets broadband via WiFi. I use it for Netflix, Lightbox, On Demand TV and YouTube.



I had a thought though that YouTube might have some highlights of the game so at about 2.30 did a search and ...... bingo ..... there was each half of the game showing in full. I happily watched both halves (great result even though the red card event was a bit annoying) thinking that I'll do this again in the future.



After watching the rugby I did a search for World Cup Football and also found uploaded broadcasts of the recent games. I've been trying, with no result to find out how I can buy a limited subscription via any legitimate channel for the period of the tournament. I don't want a SKY subscription as we don't want to get locked into TV and the bad habits it generates. This YouTube find was just what I've been looking for. I watched the Portugal Spain match and saw the magnificent Cristiano Ronaldo get his hat-trick (plus Diego Costa's two goals). Great stuff. I'm looking forward to more.





This discovery made the inconvenience of the diverticulitis worthwhile.


6 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

I have that thing with the big long name too but I still drink wine. Maybe cleanskins have a secret ingredient that helps? (ha ha I don't really drink cleanskins)

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

I'm no expert but maybe you need to replace antibiotics with probiotics.
The gut flora is a complex thing.
Recently an elderly woman gave me a loaf of sourdough.
It uses the natural fermentation of wild yeast instead of beer yeast and other crap that cheap breads contain.
I blew off a lot at first though.



Richard (of RBB) said...

Thanks for sharing.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I only have trouble rarely - when I get a bout of inflamed diverticulitis. Normally it's OK and I can drink wine, eat properly and sleep OK. Richard, if you get a bout of it you will know it for sure.
Robert it isn't a case of taking probiotics - they will make no difference.
At certain times inflammation is triggered by something I've eaten - usually tomato skins.
I usually don't eat tomatoes with skins on but when in Auckland earlier in the week we had burgers and mine had tomato in it which I didn't notice until I'd eaten some. I'm sure that this was the trigger. Nuts and seeds don't affect me.

I don't buy bread and make all my own from ingredients I buy from Bin Inn and put together.
Robert my 'blowing-off' is within normal parameters.


Richard, Fine Wine Delivery Company (find them on-line) has a tremendous deal on a 2017 Premium Gisborne Chardonnay at present - about $11 a bottle (worth twice that). It is a kind of cleanskin but was made especially for Fine Wine Delivery Co. I trust them and bought a case of 12. You can buy a case of 6 and have delivered. Great deal.

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

I can sell you a cork if that's any use?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

It's not an emission problem - just the opposite in fact.