Thursday 21 June 2018

NO TEACUPS WERE INVOLVED

Well we've had a hell of a storm here for the last day and a half and it hasn't blown itself out yet.

Remember this?


That heavy wooden chair blew over in a previous storm.



Now have a look at this.



We had some very fierce wind whistling around the deck last night*

The area has had trees blown over, slips, road damage and flooding.
I've been receiving reports from Civil Defence but fortunately no all-out call for volunteers to come in to assist.**

On my property the wind ripped off some very large branches off the trees at the front.



It's a pity the storm wasn't doing its thing last month as it would have saved me a lot of cutting and trimming.

In the bay I've seen water spouts and almost horizontal rain lashing the boats. One large yacht looked like it had toppled over at one stage with the masts almost touching the water. It must have filled up with water as the owner braved the storm and took his runabout out to it. He was out there for ages and I was about to call for assistance when he appeared looking a bit bedraggled.

Very unusual swell in the bay hid some of the moored boats

The miserable turn to the weather makes me glad that last week I got in a large trailer load of wood.


This trailer was (nearly) full of wood!


When I was in Canada the tenants of the house built this woodshed for me.



I cut up lots of small branches for kindling and, with the macrocarpa wood from the shed I'm all set to go.




Even with a trailer load of wood there's still plenty of room in this woodshed

****************

* Some creative license was taken in this photograph to demonstrate the strength of the wind.

** They haven't yet issued me with my rifle but I'm forever hopeful




2 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Glad you are safe and warm. Leave the rescuing to younger people. Remember the wrath of the old girl.

Angry Jesus said...

That storm was just a warning from me to go to church.