Friday 8 February 2019

'CAUSE I'M DRUNK TODAY AND I'M SELDOM SOBER .....

...... OR THAT'S WHAT SOMEONE IN THE HEALTH SERVICE THINKS.










When I had my stroke event and was in hospital a few months ago I was prescribed all sorts of drugs that I hadn't had before. One was Thiamine HCI which I duly had the prescription filled for and added to my collection. When I was out of hospital (5 days) I had a check up with my doctor and also with my sister who is a doctor and both of then showed surprise that I was prescribed Thiamine HCI. I asked why and they both told me that it is a drug that is commonly given to people who drink too much alcohol.
"Thiamine deficiency. Taking thiamine by mouth helps prevent and treat thiamine deficiency. Brain disorder due to thiamine deficiency (Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome). ... Giving thiamine shots seems to help decrease the risk of developing WKS and decrease symptoms of WKS during alcohol withdrawal."
I didn't know why they prescribed this but think that when I was first checked in to hospital I was asked whether I smoke (no), what my diet is (good) and whether I drink alcohol. I told them that I drink wine regularly and guessed at about 16 a week. I meant glasses of wine but I suspect that the nurse wrote down bottles! During the 5 days I was in, as well as tests and observation for the mild stroke I had I was given tests for bladder, liver and kidney functions. I didn't think a lot of it at the time.

The other day when getting a prescription filled for my collection of drugs (no more Thiamine HCI) the pharmacist questioned why the  Rivaroxaban I was getting was only 10 mg instead of the more usual 20 mg. (Rivaroxaban is an oral anticoagulant used for the prevention of strokes and the prevention or treatment of other blood clots). I said that I didn't know and he said that he would contact my doctor which he did. I had a phone call today from the pharmacist who said that he'd discussed with my doctor and that a new prescription of 20 mg dose was waiting for me. I asked why the 10 mg had been prescribed and he suggested that it might have been because the hospital doctors were concerned at my alcohol intake and Rivaroxaban interacts with too much alcohol. Bloody nurse! They obviously thought I was drinking 16 bottles of wine a week - more than 2 bottles a day! Who do they think I am- Gerard Depardieu?



Anyway, all is OK now and besides, since October I've reduced my wine drinking to about 6 a week.

GLASSES!


3 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Roman Catholics can drink. I read that we should abstain from drinking alcohol one hour before receiving the Eucharist and that afterwards we can go to the pub with mates!

Richard (of RBB) said...

"Mine's 12 inches long but I don't use it as a rule." Ray Nuns (Catholic).

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Well neither of those comments made any sense.
Maybe the writers had been drinking - bottles not glasses.