Monday 11 February 2019

ANOTHER THREE INCHES*

* Sounds like something that the actress said to the archbishop.


But no, I've just bought another iMac this one having a 27" display up from the current 24" one we have.




I mentioned before that by saving money by not going to Italy I can spend some on a new computer.
I discussed this briefly with The Old Girl on FaceTime last night and as soon as she agreed I disconnected before she changed her mind.

The old iMac is a 2008 model that we bought from new.
It has a 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and has 2 GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM memory

Recently it's been getting really slow and won't take software upgrades and would have needed expensive memory upgrade.

The new machine has a 3.3GHz quad core Intel Core i5 4590 Processor with turbo boost up to 3.75GHz. It has 16GB of Ram.

Got that?

(I just copied that info from the specs).

The 'new' machine is actually an ex-lease machine that I've purchased online from NZ PC Clearance.
It is being delivered soon (hopefully unless they've just taken my money and ran).
It's a 2016 model and has had 'bells and whistles' inserted as it was a commercial machine. Hopefully this will give me everything I need particularly speed. My existing machine is frustratingly slow and takes ages to start up.

The Old Girl, when I was singing the praises of the new machine said sardonically that it was a lot of input for a few blogs. I had to inform her that it will be most useful for her when she chooses to work from home as a consultant and that it would be a very useful addition to our office/study.

"Yeah right" she said just before I disconnected.

We've had the 24" machine since 2008 and it has given us great service. I do recommend Apple iMac. It's proven to be so much better and less complicated than the various other machines we've had with Microsoft operating systems.





I'm not sure but I think that it cost us over $2500 back then.
A new one, as per Noel Leemings prices yesterday would have cost $3000. This ex-lease one i bought cost me $1500 so I'm happy.

I think.

I'll know when it turns up and I get it installed.












3 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Good choice.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Thanks. I hope it works.
It'll have a 3 month guarantee but I've never had to use the guarantees in the past.
I do recommend, if you are replacing a computer, to look at Apple.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I'm working on the old machine until the new one turns up and guess what? It's operating at great speed and with no problems in start-up. I'd better not tell The Old Girl.