Saturday 29 August 2020

A BIT OF INTEREST?

We've had a second wonderful day in a row. I've now finished the house painting (the new weatherboards and some touch ups).
I bought a small painting sponge and attached it to an extendable hose brush (with the brush detached). This worked brilliantly and didn't put me at risk in going up an long ladder at the highest corner of the house.





I then played 9 holes of golf in ideal conditions (no wind). The golf was good and I found 7 golf balls without really trying. They were either on the fairways or just off so I didn't have to clamber down into streams this time. The Old Girl would approve I think. Actually, she'd approve of me not putting myself at risk again but would frown on me bringing home more golf balls - "You've got hundreds of them in the shed Matey" she'd say if I told her.

One of the balls I found has an inscription on it that says:

 HOLE IN ONE
Saint Four Golf Resort
2010. 10. 28




I checked on-line and Saint Four, in South Korea is listed as one of the top 100 golf courses in the world. So some South Korean visitor (or someone who had visited South Korea) played well enough to get a hole-in-one there and won a or some golf balls. He or she then came to New Zealand, played on my local course out here and hit the ball badly enough to go off the fairway. We've had some tremendous rainstorms recently with flooding. The course has had streams diverted, fences down and mini-mud slides. I found this ball to the right of the fairway on the 6th hole, in some mud that had been carried along. I figure that this ball had been unearthed and carried down to me - maybe after some years.

5 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

The last bit of the post was interesting. I think you've got enough golf balls now.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I played golf again today. I made some great shots and found 9 golf balls. Quite a success really.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Well done. Saint could be God telling you something or it could be accidental.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

No no, I believe that it's a message from heaven kind of like Saul being struck blind by light from above on his way to Damascus. He changed his name to Paul after that which kind of suggests that the blinding light was a lightning strike that temporarily affected his vision but permanently affected his pronunciation of the letter'S'. The soft tissue in his palate and his tongue may well have been damaged but his lips were OK. This might explain why, when he tried to say 'Jesus' it came out as 'Jepus' hence the derivation of the soft curse 'Jeepers'.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

If I had Saul's affliction though, that message from god saying 'saint' could be interpreted as 'paint'.
Thanks for that goddy - I've sorted (ported) the painting around the house but it was nice of you to go to all that bother - after all, didn't you invent bothering?