Monday 31 August 2020

UBER

The word 'uber' comes from the German root 'über', which means 'over'. The word is used to denote an extreme degree of something. The proper way to pronounce it is ˈ'uːbə' (Oo-ber), with a stress on the 'u', followed by a softer 'ber'.     -www.quora.com

When UBER taxis or car sharing came on the market I was against it as I usually am with anything new (I still haven't accepted The New Testament). I felt that it was unfair to taxi drivers who had invested a lot of money into their companies or cars and who paid for licenses from the government and councils.


I had no particular love for taxi drivers as this post attests: TAXI DRIVERS
and have for years put up with overpriced and grubby rides. A couple of times though I have asked the driver to pull over and let me out - once when the driver seemed and smelled drunk and another when the seat belt didn't work. I didn't pay them in both cases. Once, in London after a nightmarish ride, when I paid the driver the exact amount on the meter he asked "What about a tip?" I replied (making sure I had all my belongings with me) - "How about driving a bit more considerately next time". I had to jump as he swore and roared off.



The Old Girl has been using UBER for a few years now and I have to admit, when I've been with her the experience has been good with clean and safe cars, courteous drivers and knowing how much the ride will cost before paying and ordering.

I finally 'bit the bullet' and downloaded an UBER App to my phone. I used it for the first time today on arrival in Wellington. The Airport bus isn't operating between 11AM and 4PM due to COVID-19 for some inexplicable reason. I arrived at 2.30 and wasn't going to hang about until 4. Also, if I did take the bus at 4 my Gold Card wouldn't be valid between 3 and 6 PM and I would have to pay (about $18 I think). I decided to try out the UBER App. It was easy. I entered the pick up location - Wellington Airport and the destination - Egmont Street. The App immediately told me that a car would be there in 3 minutes, the make and rego of the car, the driver's name and the cost of the ride - $20. Sure enough the car turned up in 3 minutes. It was new and clean and the driver was courteous and drove well. He didn't have music blaring. He didn't argue with other drivers. He didn't engage me in long and unwanted conversation. He didn't make loud telephone calls while driving. I'll use UBER again.

Another reason that I now like UBER, in addition to knowing what the exact fare is going to be, at the destination you just get out. You don't have to search your pockets for notes and coins or go through the rigmarole of processing a credit card. This is all done automatically as when you sign up, UBER has your credit card details.



Another advantage is that because the agreed fare is already paid you don't have to worry about tipping unless you really want to. I don't know how many times I've paid taxi drivers extra even though I didn't really want to because it's uncomfortable waiting for the change.


***************

When we dine out I prefer to let The Old Girl pay at restaurants (even though it comes out of the same bank account) because I hate the process of paying at the counter especially if you don't want to leave a tip. It makes me anxious.



It'd be great if restaurants employed a dining-in UBER-type system.


1 comment: