Saturday 31 October 2020

"I GROW OLD ... I GROW OLD ...

 .... I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled."

- From The Love Song of J.Alfred Prufrock by T.S. Eliot, one of my favourite poets.


I've been feeling a bit old myself the last couple of days. Various aches and pains and a spike in my AF and blood pressure took me to bed for a few hours sleep yesterday afternoon. I feel better today but, as Eliot says in the poem:

"And I have seen the eternal Footman hold my coat, and snicker,
And in short, I was afraid."


Another magnificent photograph from the 2020 Wildlife Photography Awards

*********************************


OK, that's enough complaining.

I've finished the old folks newsletter and will be sending it off to the members tomorrow. 
Today was a bit crappy but even if it wasn't I was under instructions from The Old Girl to not play golf or do anything strenuous in the garden which is good advice so I've been lazing about a bit. Because I go to Wellington on Monday I used up all of the fresh vegetables in the fridge and didn't replenish them so I'll have to go out soon to buy something for dinner. I was thinking of going up to The Club for a sit-down meal but I will be watching the rugby tonight - All Blacks vs Australia in Sydney via SKY TV on my computer - so will get a burger and chips from the local takeaway. They make really good food I have to admit but very rarely use them, preferring to cook my own.

I've checked out the blogs but there's nothing much going on there apart from a possible inter-family feud that Robert is instigating.
 
"Call out the instigator"

Wasn't that a great song from the 60s?




*********************************

As I said, I'm off to Wellington on Monday so might be able to catch up with Richard and Robert for a drink next Saturday.
The last two times we did this we went to the Speights pub in Petone which is OK but not great. Robert complained that it was a bit too high class and expensive though which surprised me as I thought it was just an ordinary pub. He seems to have found something else closer to home that sells cheap beer (probably in jugs). I have no interest in going to that place.
I think that this time we should find something in Wellington to go to. My suggestion for beer would be Murphy's Irish pub in Cuba Mall (Murphy's stout on tap) or, for wine Noble Rot or any of the other wine-bars in the Cuba Street area. There are actually a few craft breweries around there as well that have bars attached.

Any suggestions?



9 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Yip a catch up in Wellington is fine with me an Kylie. There is bus from Eastbourne via lower Hutt to Courtney place. Murphy's sounds good as it has beer too boot.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

"beer too boot."

That sounds like a Thai brand. I thinks that they only serve Irish beer.

Richard (of RBB) said...

It's a pity The Purple Onion closed some time ago. We could have gone there. Hey, how about The Third Eye on Sunday afternoon? They have a jazz jam as well.

Hope you're feeling okay old fella. Old age is not always a bunch of laughs. Take care.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

The Third Eye sounds good. I hope that Robert won't think that fraternising with Indian religion is a mortal sin though.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Actually, the third eye with music isn't the best place to chat. The music is quite loud.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

OK. Good call given Robert's loquaciousness.
I guess that Murphy's is back on the agenda.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Call? Grammar!

Richard (of RBB) said...

I really think I might be happier at the Africa Day exhibition on the waterfront rather than listening about how Trent Horn should be pope.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

True but wouldn't it be great to hear the catholic team try to explain transubstantiation?