Thursday 8 October 2020

BUSY THURSDAY


I'M LATE FOR A VERY IMPORTANT DATE


I've got a busy day today. 

I have to get in some vegetables to make The Old Girl a nice salad for tea and I'm looking forward to watching the US Vice President debate live on YouTube at 1pm. I then have to go out and find a place to vote.

Richard rang earlier and suggested a walk around town as he had shopping to do. I declined because, as I said, I'm busy today but to be frank, standing around in  music shops for half an hour listening to him discussing the merits of Clara Petacci strings* with a cornered shop assistant leaves a lot to be desired.

The debate should be better than the presidential debate and the NZ prime ministerial debates. I'm looking forward to seeing Kamala Harris destroy the incumbent Mike Pence. Harris is strong, intelligent and fiery. Pence is a simp who sucks up to the awful Trump.


This will be interesting on so many levels but now, the foremost will be the viability of the president and the challenger vs the vice president and the challenger.
 I've maintained that Joe Biden is a weak challenger to Trump - immeasurably better than the orange monster but still not the best that the Democrats could have put forward. Kamala Harris as running partner however provides a really good back up if, and when, Biden falls over during his first term.
Trump is ill and maybe will fall over real soon. He's currently making even less sense than usual but, if the worst scenario happens and he wins only to fall over later, then milksop Pence will take over.

So - what is the world facing?
On  the one hand a right wing, racist, misogynistic fascist backed up by a right wing, anti feminist and rabid Christian - what Robert would call 'The Dream Team'.
On the other side a well-meaning but doddering good guy who is fortunately supported by one of the smartest women in USA politics.
I know who I would vote for.

As for the debate:

On one side there is Kamala Harris who soon could be the first female vice-president of the USA. In the longer game she could be the first female president of the USA. She is a Democratic senator, a lawyer and an ex district and state attorney with a reputation of being one of the toughest interrogators in Congress.

On the other side is a rock steady (read boring) Republican vice-president who seems to never get upset and just carries on down the middle. His main claim to fame is that he's done nothing wrong which is probably true since he does nothing.
In the words of David Bowie from Ashes To Ashes:



 

"I never done good things (I never done good things)
I never done bad things (I never done bad things)
I never did anything out of the blue, woh-o-oh."










"My Clara has the best strings"





6 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

I didn't know you knew so much about strings. I'll gladly show you some tomorrow. 😁

THE CURMUDGEON said...

It was a low key debate. Harris was very calm even though Pence lied his whole way through. She must have been advised to just sit quiet and ignore it just like Biden mostly did in the presidents debate. Her amusing reactions to Pence's waffling, lying and interrupting were great to watch though. She said more in a few incredulous looks and eyebrow raising than Pence could ever say in words.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Turnip. Sorry, it's my new word. Just like you and Robert have favourite words.

Richard (of RBB) said...

I watched the debate. Very interesting listening to the amount of shit Pence was speaking. Harris did a very good job.

Richard (of RBB) said...

You've done well on comments. Turnip.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Parsnip.