Saturday 23 March 2024

A-WIMOWEH, A-WIMOWEH ...

 .... sorry, not that.


We had an Alsynite Spinaway 300 rotary roof ventilator installed in the roof yesterday.


"A Spinaway, a Spinaway ..."

The blurb on the internet tells me that:

The Spinaway 300 is suitable for almost any residential building. Manufactured from quality aluminium, the Spinaway will expel hot air from your ceiling space during warm Summer months and expel damp air from your ceiling during cooler months, reducing moisture and minimising the risk of mildew.

Sounds good to me.

At the height of summer the roof temperature in the attic was well over 50 degrees on most days - the hottest since we've lived here (the HRV heat exchanger system monitors temperature in the roof space and the house).


This photo of the panel was taken in the hot February 2019 but this summer it was way higher.

We have things stored up there since I had the attic ladder installed and laid down some flooring so The Old Girl was a bit concerned that things would melt. A bit dramatic I know but it's probably not good for wiring and other things if it gets too hot up there. She said that she was worried that the house might explode!


Well, the roofer came yesterday and installed the ventilator without any problems. He told me that ours was just one of four that he was installing in the area which underlines the fact that conditions are hotter than in previous years and we are not alone in our concerns.

It rained overnight and this morning so I went into the attic to check for water leaks but everything is sound and dry. He installed it in a spot that is sheltered by the chimney so we shouldn't have any problems with the next big storm we have.

Temperatures are dropping now that it's spring but - better safe than sorry.





Now, just in case that earlier 'A-wimoweh' reference has fixed a tune in your head here's the song for you.



5 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

"Temperatures are dropping now that it's spring but - better safe than sorry."
Gosh, in the past Autumn has always come after summer.

The autumn leaves
Drift past my window,
The autumn leaves
In red and gold.
I see her lips,
The summer kisses,
The sunburnt hands
I used to hold.
Since she went away
My days grow long and
I can hear old winter's song,
But this song gets hard to sing
If we're really in spring.


THE CURMUDGEON said...

Um, I was wondering if anyone would spot that deliberate error.

Richard (of RBB) said...

You should have dementiand that earlier.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I wasn’t expecting you to spring into action so quickly.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Interesting about the vent. At least with my terracotta tile roof there is natural ventilation.