Tuesday 12 March 2024

"ADEO IN MISERIS ETIAM VITAE AMANTES SUNT MORTALES"

 "Robert would have done that by now" said The Old Girl referring to the squeaky lounge door that she had asked me to fix yesterday when I was watching the exciting end of the cricket test.

"I'll do it as soon as" I replied, then turned back to the cricket which, as per par when playing Australia, New Zealand lost.

*************

That was yesterday.

Today The Old Girl said "Robert's pretty useful around the house I see. He works all hours his god gave him and still manages to paint the ceilings in his 'free' time".


She said this while pointedly staring at the hinges on the lounge door.

Bloody Robert.

"Be careful what you wish for" I mumbled.

"What?" she asked.

"Nothing, just thinking of an old Aesop fable" I replied. "I might put some oil on those hinges soon."





11 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

But what about poor Mike at tennis?

😘

Richard (of RBB)

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

I'm getting to like the old girl.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Richard: I've told you before - Mike at tennis doesn't come to tennis anymore. Unbelievable as it may seem. I might have upset him with my political, social, economic, monarchistic, feminist and religious views.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Robert: Be careful of what you wish for. You haven't experienced a tongue lashing from The Old Girl when you get the painting wrong. Just saying.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Ah, sorry to hear about Mike. I believe he gave you a good workout on the court.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

No, I regularly beat him.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

By all accounts it sounds like TC is the one regularly beaten.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

No, we don't play those games.

Anonymous said...

Bloody leftie!

Mike

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

An old man was employed in cutting wood in the forest, and, in carrying the faggots to the city for sale one day, became very wearied with his long journey. He sat down by the wayside, and throwing down his load, besought “Death” to come. “Death” immediately appeared in answer to his summons and asked for what reason he had called him. The Old Man hurriedly replied, “That, lifting up the load, you may place it again upon my shoulders.”

Evidently this is what the Latin title refers to!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

What would we do without you Robert?
And here’s me thinking that I’d been referring to the story of the little mermaid.