Sunday 13 May 2012

MOTHER'S DAY


Mother's day is today.
What a crock of shit that is. It is another of those retailers' excuses for unnecesary spending with the added advantage of drawing on feelings of guilt from errant and forgetful children.


It is Mother's Day not Mothers' Day in case you were wondering.

Wikipedia say's

In 1912, Anna Jarvis trademarked the phrases "second Sunday in May" and "Mother's Day", and created the Mother's Day International Association.
She was specific about the location of the apostrophe; it was to be a singular possessive, for each family to honour their mother, not a plural possessive commemorating all mothers in the world.This is also the spelling used by U.S. President Woodrow Wilson in the law making official the holiday in the United States, by the U.S. Congress on bills, and by other U.S. presidents on their declarations.
Common usage in English language also dictates that the ostensibly singular possessive "Mother's Day" is the preferred spelling, although "Mothers' Day" (plural possessive) or "Mothers Day" (plural non-possessive) are sometimes used.

 My mother used to berate my father for not buying her a gift on Mother's Day. He used to say "You're not my mother so why should I?" I agree with him, but I go one step further and say why should the stupid day exist at all just because some rich American bint with too much time on her hands wanted to do something for society. Society? More like her "Society' and lady friends. Perhaps hubby or daddy owned a department store so it was some way of drumming up business.


Harrumph!



7 comments:

Valley Girl said...

I do agree it is so totally commericially exploitive and ridden with the guilt complex. Even tot the extent where I feel obligated to refresh the flowers on my late mother's grave. I bought some but did not visit today as it was very rainy. I opted for a sleep in(much needed) and was treated to lunch yesterday by younger daughter (20)and tonight elder daughter(22) is coming to dinner from Palmerston North wih a bottle of wine for Mum. Hubby is cooking dinner. SO no silly presents, just appreciation. NO cards. No wasting their precious funds, but spending quality time with their Mum. My Mum will forgive me for not visitng her grave today. I visited it last week though. But she know that I know that she is not there anyway. Just her ashes.
She is everywhere and all around. In my dreams, my memories, in my past, in my present and future. She is inside me as I am a part of her and she is a part of me, as are my own dear girls. Oh BTW did I mention I was still expected or assumed to buy a card and gift for my Mother in law as my husband of 29 years is still to lazy to get anything for his Mum? Made him visit her though. I really should stop doing that for him. She knows its me who gets all the family gifts anyway, just like she does.
Oh its alls uch a silly non sense!

Richard (of RBB) said...

I'm thinking of Lynn today. I hope she is doing okay.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Thanks Richard.
Yes, birthday, Christmas and Mother's Day all bring the tears.
She keeps herself busy with work but I know it hurts.

Cheers,

Peter

Richard (of RBB) said...

Well tell her that I'm thinking of her tonight.
Much love,
Rich

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

Couldn't agree more. The whole bloody Mother's Day nonsense should be abolished.

Tracey said...

Interesting perspective - and yet I recall a post detailing the celebration you and your good wife had to celebrate Jesus' birthday. I would have thought Mother's Day had more relevance for you. Presumably you do believe in mothers?

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

I often wonder something the same... if a chappy denies his heavenly father because he doesn't have proof... what proof does he have that he has an earthly father?