Saturday 28 August 2010

BLOODY LARRIKINS!

Some things don't change.
Last weekend I was in Marlborough for a family reunion. My cousins, all aging like me, decided to get together for a weekend to rekindle relationships, share family history and to let the next generations of family know about the family history. Our great-great-grandparents were pioneers in the area and here area great many achievements and stories to be remembered. The weekend happily coincided with the 100th anniversary of our grand-parents wedding in 1910 (told you we were old). It was a special weekend with each of the cousins putting up story boards of their sides of the family (there were 7 children in my dad's family). One cousin came over from Washington with his family and another from Australia. My sister and I went from up North, my other sister from Wellington and the rest were from Blenheim. I saw old family photographs that brought back lots of memories and heard great stories of the family and the pioneering days. One of the stories was of my dad and the fact that he was a bit of a larrikin.

When he returned to New Zealand on leave in 1943 before going back to Italy he stayed with his parents in Blenheim. One of my cousins recounted a story that his mother (dad's younger sister) had told them. One Sunday morning my grandfather, grandmother and aunt were driving to church in the Ford model A.

Going through the centre of town my grandfather, on seeing tyre marks just past the central roundabout going straight to a high hedge which had a hole punched through it, went on a tirade raging about the 'young hoons and layabouts who had no sense of responsibility. Their cars should be taken off them and crushed' My aunt, in the back seat could hardly contain herself as could my grandmother and my grandfather wondered what was wrong with them. The night before, my father had borrowed the old man's car and hooned around town with other family members including my aunt and had crashed through the hedge.

My aunt had recounted that Dad, on going through the hedge had weaved and accelerated shouting "I've driven tanks in worse situations than this" and carried on through, across the park on the other side and eventually onto another road. At home he tidied up the car so my grandfather didn't know what had happened.

4 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Nice story. It reminds us that there's nothing new under the sun.

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

No, some things don't change.

Curmudgeons beget Curmudgeons, bastards beget bastards.
Schizophrenic alter egos beget even more schizophrenic alter egos.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

My father wasn't a curmudgeon.
I've developed these traits all on my own.

Anonymous said...

Nice post Curmudgeon. Great to have you back.
The story reminds me of my dad letting (a very young) Chris drive the car around a park in Mt Victoria.
Next day there was an article in the newspaper about hoons tearing up the park!
My memories of this are faint, maybe Richard can add details.