Tuesday 17 August 2010

LIFE IMITATING ART



Anti-mimesis is a philosophical position that holds the direct opposite of mimesis. Its most notable proponent is Oscar Wilde, who held in his 1889 essay The Decay of Lyingthat "Life imitates Art far more than Art imitates Life". In the essay, written as a Platonic dialogue, Wilde holds that such anti-mimesis "results not merely from Life's imitative instinct, but from the fact that the self-conscious aim of Life is to find expression, and that Art offers it certain beautiful forms through which it may realise that energy."


The above from Wikipaedia.


I notice that someone has been imitating Richard's Bass Bag. I know its not exactly art and certainly not beautiful but someone thought that it was worth copying anyway. Imitation is a form of flattery after all. Now Richard thought that I had done this heinous deed (admittedly my past record was against me) and has imitated The CURMUDGEON.
Normally I wouldn't mind but old age is rapidly catching up with him and his grammar and syntax is slipping. Entropy!

5 comments:

Angry Jesus said...

Who is the Nazi who deleted the previous comments?

Angry Jesus said...

Hey, other Curmudgeon, perhaps we both need to tackticaly withdraw our twin characters?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

What previous comments?

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

I'm really getting confused. I think I'll refrain from commenting on any of the Curmudgeon's comments until ownership is clarified

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I think that Richard's brain got overloaded from all of his multi-personalities so he has had to resort to cloning other real characters.