Monday 17 September 2018

A NOVEL IDEA

Mike's writing a novel. He did a post graduate writing course at university last year so I guess that he knows what he's doing. It was pretty disciplined and, like with a Phd his pass grade is dependent on his output being the selected body of work which he is editing. I'm keen to read this when it's finished. Mike is clever and a bit of a perfectionist so there's no doubt that it will be a good book.




******************



I've been writing a novel in my head for a few years. It's a young adult book pitched to the 12 to 14 y.o. set. Well, when I say pitched that's my understanding of the demographic. In reality for the 12 to 14 y.o. set nowadays I'd probably have to add a lot of sex, drugs and violence. Anyway, the setting 
is 1940s New Zealand which were simpler times.

This weekend I decided to get the book down on paper. I opened a Word file and started typing.



I've completed four pages!





I've been a bit slack I must admit and am easily distracted.

Today I changed the desktop background on the computer screen to one of The Old Girl looking at me sternly. Hopefully this will keep me on track .....




........... oops, the sun has just come out. I'd better be off to play a few holes of golf.

















6 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

I think you could write a very good book, you just need to stay on task. I'd read it.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I found 11 golf balls. Yippee!

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
THE CURMUDGEON said...

Focus: Dutch rock band from late 60s. Had that weird hit called Hocus Pocus.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
THE CURMUDGEON said...

Hocus Pocus?

But my book isn't about religion.