Monday 27 July 2020


"Here I go,like a fool, falling again."

There are a lot of songs about falling and a disproportionate number of Country songs. I guess those old jokers in the funny hats just never learn.

I fell again today - while playing golf.
For the first time, honest, on a par 3 by the roadside I hit my ball out onto the road.
When I was up by the green, I parked my golf trundler and set off through the bushes and up a steep bank to the road. I found my ball and headed back. As I left the road and stepped into the foliage my ankles caught against a hidden strand of fence wire and I tumbled head first down the bank. I landed heavily on my left shoulder and lay still for a moment or two wondering if I'd broken it. The ground I landed on was fortunately soft after all the rain we've had up north and, apart from being winded and feeling a bit silly, I was OK.

The course was showing the effects of the big storms we've had. Some of the streams seem to have changed their course and there were vast mounds of debris that had been swept down. If I hadn't fallen I'd no doubt have gone for a fossick amongst the debris as I'm sure that a lot of golf balls would have been dredged up and swept along.

I'd played five holes at this stage - not very well but I did find 5 golf balls so all was not lost. After the fall though I decided to quit and came home. I had scrapes and grazes from the wire and the foliage and my shoulder was sore so decided to have a soak in a hot bath. I put some Epsom Salts in.

"The theory is that when you soak in an Epsom salt bath, these get into your body through your skin. That hasn't been proven, but just soaking in warm water can help relax muscles and loosen stiff joints. People use Epsom salt baths as a home treatment for: Arthritis pain and swelling." - Wikipedia.
Anyway, I believe it.

Here's a tip for young players: When in your supermarket looking to buy some bath salts ignore the fancy, schmanzy labels that say 'bath salts' and buy Epsom salts instead. A couple of weeks ago, in Wellington I demonstrated to The Old Girl the difference in prices. A 500 gram bag of Epsom salts cost $2.49. On the shelf beside it a 500 gram bag of some branded bath salts cost $14.99. The ingredients on the bag of Epsom salts read: "Contains Magnesium Sulphate". The ingredients list on the bath salts read: "Contains Magnesium Sulphate and Aromatics".



While relaxing in the bath, listening to National Radio my phone rang. It was The Old Girl calling me on Facetime to tell me how wonderful the day was in Wellington. I told her that it was the same up here - blue sky, no wind, harbour like a mill pond etc., etc. so she asked me why then was I soaking in a bath. I told her that I'd hurt myself playing golf and yes, I admitted that I had gone looking for a golf ball, but, in my defence it wasn't a random golf ball, it was the one that I'd hit. This of course fell on deaf ears and I got a lecture about looking for golf balls when we have a shed full of them. She ended by saying that she had no sympathy for me and would have had none even if I had broken or dislocated my shoulder. "Bit harsh" I thought.

So, how's your day going?

11 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Magnesium slow release tablets are good for muscles. My doctor put me on to them and they've cleared up a few problems. Slow release are evidently the best because the quick release ones can give you the runs.

I think Lynn is correct when she says you already have enough golf balls.


Ah, but you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Look after yourself, amico speciale.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Slow release - quick release - yes, the name holds a clue.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Did you like the hat in the picture?

Richard (of RBB) said...

No, not really.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Oh, that's a shame. I've got one just like it.

Richard (of RBB) said...

And you have a lot of golf balls.

Richard (of RBB) said...

NEW POST OVERDUE

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I have an appointment with my dentist Mr Phang today - 2.30.

I'll post later.



THE CURMUDGEON said...

Actually, that's an old music hall joke. The appointment is at 11.15.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

But the name is real. Mr Phang is Chinese.

Richard (of RBB) said...

I won't hold my breath for a new post.