Saturday 25 July 2020

SHOPPING AND JOBS TODAY

I've been busy today. As it was fine I did three loads of washing which I now must take in off the washing line. (done) Feeling industrious I then did the vacuuming. The Philips cleaner was decidedly sluggish with not much suck. I was tempted to use my new ($25) AL-KO Hurricane outdoor vacuum but instead looked up the internet for a solution. The internet is great for this and I found a very helpful Scottish woman who troubleshooted possible problems, one being clogged filters. Sure enough, when I removed the filter I discovered that it and the sponge square behind it were totally clogged. I cleaned them and .. ... job done, the vacuum is working fine now.

I cleaned the rangehood grease panels and decided to buy new charcoal filters. The rangehood was in the house when we bought it 11 years ago so, of course, the model isn't recognised by any distributors in New Zealand (checked on-line again). I established that Bunnings stock charcoal filters for other brands and models so I measured the required diameter of mine and set off. I found a pack of two with the same measurements I needed ($29). Job done.

One of the ARLO security cameras decided to stop working the other day. I checked out if it was a  battery problem by replacing with one of the working one's battery but no change. The unit was munted. I set myself up for a protracted hassle with the retailer - Noel Leeming. Last night I sent an email explaining the problem and, by identifying the purchase date (8 months ago) established that it was within the 12 month replacement warranty period. I received a response this morning from them asking to bring it in for checking with a warning that the evaluation would cost me and that replacement would depend upon the problem being covered by the manufacturer. "Here we go" I thought and girded my loins ready for battle.


The pleasant young woman at Noel Leeming (I've dealt with her before and she is very competent)* sorted it out without argument, prevarication or obfuscation. She opened a new box containing the security system, took out a camera and battery and swapped for the ones that I'd brought in. I must mention here that the retail price of a camera is about $600 and the battery another $110 so I was most pleased. When I got home  tested it and it is working satisfactorily again. Job done.

After this I went to COUNTDOWN to do some shopping. Between home and there I managed to lose my shopping list but went around the shelves anyway. This takes longer when you don't have a list as you have to go up and down all of the aisles in the hope of remembering what was on the list.  I bought, I think. everything I needed and, with regard to the food items I've got the ingredients for meatloaf, gravy, roast vegetables (potato, and pumpkin) and greens (broccoli and cauliflower). I prepared the meatloaf mixture with my usual additions of lashings of garlic, chilli, soy sauce, ginger, capsicum, spring onion and piquante peppers and managed to make six small loaves - one for tonight and five for freezing. Job done.


So. How was your day?





* On completion of our business I asked her if she gets complimented on her work. Surprised she asked why. I told her that she is excellent to deal with and sorts out problems remarkably. I will put an endorsement on their website if there is an opportunity to do so.

2 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Well, maybe Robert's posts aren't so bad. Let's have Catholic doctrine in every school!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Says the guy who hasn't posted for days ( not that we've missed it).