Friday 31 October 2014

DRIVING FURIOUSLY

I have always liked that description - 'Driving furiously'.


I remember studying this in Criminal Law, one of the law papers I did at university.
I think it's still on the statute books. It related to driving horses and carriages in the pre-car days.

It also reminds me of a story an Aunt told me about my Dad during the war. Dad was in the Divisional Cavalry and drove light tanks, staghounds and bren carriers.


On a furlough back to NZ he 'borrowed' his father's car one Saturday night and took his sisters on a jaunt around hometown Blenheim.
Travelling a bit fast down the main street he encountered the new roundabout and managed to swerve to avoid the mound in the middle but went through a hedge and onto a public garden. The sisters shrieked and started to panic but Dad said "don't worry, I've driven through rougher places in the desert" and proceeded to continue across the lawn and through the hedge at the other side.
Next morning on the way to Sunday church Dad's father (in the cleaned up and polished car), when he saw the mess to the park said something like "Darned hooligans, driving furiously". It was all that my Aunt could do to not laugh and blurt out the truth as she was one of the sisters in the car the night before.


Anyway, I'm off to watch Fury, the Brad Pitt WW2 film about tank action. I hope it's good. We haven't had a decent WW2 film since Saving Private Ryan. There have been a couple of other ones but they were pathetic (Inglorious Basterds and The Monument Men). Pity we don't get any good British WW2 films anymore.



2 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Now that sounds like a real film. I have a copy of The Longest Day that I always keep nearby in case Shelley is playing too many chick flicks.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Well you'll like this one.
Gritty, realistic and looks like the Americans have finally grown up and are brave enough to show war at its worst. The Americans aren't saints - they murder and rape like all soldiers in war.
Sure there were a couple of gung-ho scenes and a bit of that old soppy sentimentality but this is American after all.
Worth a visit.