Sunday 17 December 2017

FROM NEW ZEALAND - STRANGE AND BEAUTIFUL

Here's a post on behalf of THE MUSIC CURMUDGEON (who is on holiday)


I listened to an interview on National Radio the other day and was annoyed by the mannerisms of Aldous Harding and the time that she took to answer questions. It didn't make for good radio but I've since watched the interview with Kathryn Ryan on National radio's website and she comes across better in the visuals. I'd listened to her being interviewed on National Radio a couple of years ago and it seemed to me that she engaged more then.  Back then I thought she had great potential with her music and it seems that she really is a rising star - not one that depends on 14 y.o. girls supporting her music like Lorde and a host of others, but one who is edgy and quirky and who hopefully will be in it for the long run

I like edgy and quirky music whether it is Kurt Weil or Benjamin Britten opera; Cap'n Beefheart, John Cale, P.J. Harvey rock music; Kate Bush or David Bowie pop; or Scott Walker-type alternative. Crazy is good.

Harding is a visual performer as much as a singer/songwriter and I'd like to see one of her shows.

Here are two totally different performaces that show her range.









No comments: