Wednesday 27 October 2010

THERE AND BACK AGAIN...

(... and so nice to see that the two The Hobbit films are to be made here regardless of the fact that it was a rort by Warner Brothers).


I've been to the big smoke for a couple of days and it is really good to be back home. Today I was driving around Glen Innes in Auckland (kind of like a Nuova Lazio of the North) and was struck by how soulless it looked. Guys in hoodies ( it was hot) walking the streets or driving aggressively; fast food outlets spilling out fat and pasty-faced people; an empty library (apart from those using the free internet); busy streets, full carparks and cheap housing. Everything looked grey. Arriving home to a blue and fresh-looking bay lifted my spirits. I was offered a job today, managing a community based education facility. It is a very worthwhile operation and ticks most of the boxes for me. The chance to use my skills and experience. The opportunity to contribute something worthwhile back into society. Something to do. A bit of money coming in. But, they wanted me to work. I said no.

To be more exact they wanted me to work 4 days a week. If this was close to home it would not be a problem but 4 days a week would mean that I would be spending more days a week in Auckland than at home.

The Wine Guy wasn't happy. He went to a tasting and couldn't differentiate between a Cabernet and a Shiraz. In wine country this is kind of like not knowing your arse from your elbow. He was glad to get back home too and finished off the rest of the Sacred Hill Chardonnay that was in the fridge.

5 comments:

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

Sorry that the job wasn't quite what you wanted, and sorry about the jokes in previous posts about being a man of leisure.

I had picked up from Richard [of RBB]that you were retired, and enjoying the fruit of all your hard-earned labours.

I'm still envious when you describe your home environment beside the sea.

As regards the hoodies, I agree with you, and in Nuova Lazio it is also common to see the kids roaming in their hoodies, hoods up, even in beautiful weather. However, the Library in Nuova Lazio isn't empty, it's almost always full of adults and kids, reading and borrowing books. I actually wouldn't mind living in Nuova Lazio, it's got a great village feel to it, very supportive of each other.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Yeah, sorry the job didn't work out.
Something closer to home would be nice, I think.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

No problem TSB. I am a voluntary man of leisure but would like something to do to keep active and alert and to bring in that extra bit of money so that we can have a decent holiday next year.

Anonymous said...

What could be better than where you are for a holiday?
Well may be Wellington.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

You're right Robert. We live all year round in a place where other people come to on their holidays. We want to go to Europe though - France, Italy or Spain. We are investigating the house swap opportunities.