Tuesday 11 October 2011

OVER THE TOP

A recent post by Tracy on her blog Petone Ponderings here:

http://petoneponderings.blogspot.com/2011/10/stupid-facebook-stuff.html

reminded me of the insidious influence that media, social or otherwise, is having on our children.
I watched that execrable programme on TV3 tonight, Target , the one that gains viewership by tantalising them at the prospect of a tradesman sniffing the house owners panties. Along with a ridiculous segment of a dog-owners problems with a pet kennel that should have been better handled by the small claims procedure and not viewed on prime-time national television, and a boring (and stacked) 'consumer study' on chocolate-chip' biscuits, Target did a sting on retailers selling R18 video-games to underage consumers. The study was disturbing where the retail staff, in numbers, seemed to think that there was nothing wrong with selling these.
Now I am not a prude (and I have said this enough in my posts and comments to be resonant) but the content of some of the Play Station games that I have does make me wonder if parents are aware of what their precious little charges are watching.

I am not too concerned if Lara Croft shows a bit of nipple occasionally.


She does, after all dip in extremely cold water in underground caves and is ever alert to danger but I do wonder at the need to see her, at the end of an adventure, luxuriating semi-naked in a 'fuck me' pose.


Grand Theft Auto has always been controversial and Grand Theft Auto IV was banned in some countries and severely restricted in others.



Why? Perhaps it was the options of killing policemen, raping hookers and generally making mayhem. is this wrong? Ask the makers.

Sex in videos is becoming more and more prevalent and I'm sure that the average 12 year old is viewing and playing stuff that their parents would be horrified at. I mentioned in an earlier post that when I was playing a PS3 game Mafia II (yes I play them too), I was surprised at a link scene where fellatio was involved.

Kids I guess, when the parents enter the room, have learned to quickly change the scene on the screen (not unlike the way we used to hide the girlie-magazines under the covers) when sex is involved but I bet you that when it is a scene of violence they don't bother. The same or worse is showed on prime-time TV. This is why crap like this ....


... gets watched and played by kids. See a link between this and playground violence?

Get ready parents there is worse to come.

2 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Gosh, wasn't hard to get to be the first to comment.

Anonymous said...

That's funny.
My only thought is that he's taken R18 material and made it available to minors!