Saturday 21 April 2018

MY WHEELS ARE GETTING SMALLER.

When we were younger we used to think that bigger wheels on cars were more desirable. It made them look flasher, faster, more macho etc.



As we get older these things don't appeal so much so we settle for smaller wheels.



When I had company cars and didn't have to pay for them I used to choose the option of 18" or 19" wheels over the standard 16".


Why? Because they looked better. Facile eh.

I just had a look at a VW forum on whether larger wheels are better than smaller wheels:


A question
I have a 2001 (B5.5) V6 4motion Passat. I still have the stock wheels and tire size on it: 205/55/R16. Was thinking about getting some new wheels, but before I locked myself into that wheel/tire size, I wanted to ask the question -- is there any real advantage (or disadvantage) to getting bigger tires, and therefore wheels?

An answer
Advantage. looks only, really.
Disadvantages. lack of wheel protection, hasher ride, more expensive tires....
It's a preference. That's all.
Want a good middle of the road without having to lower to look good? 17" 225/45/17 tire.

The car we just bought has 16" wheels and it looks OK to me. At least they are larger than the tyres on the Toyota Ist we just sold which were 15".
No doubt the boy racers will sneer when they see me driving it but hey, at least they might not steal it.

No comments: