Wednesday 19 December 2018

IF I WERE A CARPENTER ....



I've liked this song from the first time I heard it and have heard different versions by Tim Hardin.

The song's been covered by many others including Bob Seger, Joan Baez, Robert Plant, Bobby Darin and Johnny Hallyday who had a French hit with it as "Si j'étais un charpentier".

***************

So, why a carpenter?

It's not because it's Christmas and because Robert's pals peddle this myth about Jesus having been a carpenter. No, it's because Richard posted about doing house repairs - more exactly house scraping and painting. He seems to be forever doing this but this time has taken his good lady's advice and has got some professionals in to do the job which means that it might endure for more than a couple of years.

Whenever I threaten to do some handiwork around the house The Old Girl says "get a man in".




This of course can be damaging to frail egos but in my case it gives me a chance to slack off so I don't mind. We''ve got an old house though that needs maintenance so I'll have to get off my arse especially as the weather is coming right. We had an entire new roof put on a couple of years ago so that should last us out. I'm hoping that we won't need to repaint the house. It was done before we bought it 10 years ago and still looks OK. Window frames and  pieces here and there will need touching up and even some timber bits replaced.

This along with the deck that needs some board replacements and improvements means that I wish I were a carpenter.

I could take The Old Girl's advice and get a professional in though.





3 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

A post inspired by Richard's Bass Bag*. I like that!





* the original bass bagging site

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

I was sleeping and heard my name.
So Jesus was not a carpenter!
Sure the idea we have of a carpenter was much broader 2000 years ago. They were probably more like mechanics. Building bridges, fixing chariot wheels, repairing roofs, building crosses for the Roman army.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

He spent a lot of time swanning about doing nothing for a self-employed tradesman.
Ae you sure he didn't work for the council?