Friday 14 December 2018

S.O.B.S.

I picked the Old Girl up from the bus this morning and on the way home I told her about the incident at the tennis club as mentioned in the previous post. She asked if I was going to stay in the club or not. I said that I'd see how my boycotting plan went and if it was unsuccessful I might give tennis a miss.

"Like the bowls then" she said. I gave her a look.




She was referring to the fact that at the end of last year I joined a local bowling club only to retire from it later this year because I didn't like the committee in-fighting.

"And the local Whangarei Heads club" she said. I gave her another look.



Last weekend I attended a special meeting of the local club which is kind of like a Cosmopolitan club, which had been called because the current president and committee who had only been elected two months ago, have resigned. There are all sorts of problems going on between different factions and it's not a happy place. The meeting turned acrimonious so I walked out and decided not to renew my membership.

"And the Citizens Association" she said. I gave her a third look.



At Christmas last year I resigned from the committee of the local Citizens Association as I did not want to serve on the committee alongside another member who has a 'past'.

See: A MORAL DILEMMA


At this stage the Old Girl was quiet on the drive and then she said:

"Maybe you should found your own club. Something like The Sad Old Bastards Society - S.O.B.S. for short."

I was flabbergasted.

It reminded me of Ivor Cutler and his skit on The Friendless Society.

Have a listen to this audio clip:



THE FRIENDLESS SOCIETY



2 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

I'd fit in well at the S.O.B.S.

Maybe it's time to ressurect the WSC&PCS?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Yes, good idea - an online digital version.