Sunday 30 December 2018

SPOTLIGHT

"I'm up in the spotlight, oh does it feel right
The altitude seems to really get to me.
I'm up on the tightwire linked by life and the funeral pyre
Putting on a show for you to see."




****************************

I love that Leon Russell song - always have but the 'Spotlight' in this blog post is the film I watched last night on Netflix:




Spotlight (2015) is about The Boston Globe chasing up a story of widespread and systemic child sex abuse in the Boston area by numerous Catholic priests. It is a powerful film that highlights how the Church is entrenched in political and social institutions allowing it an ability to get away with crimes. While this pertained to events that happened in the latter part of the 20th century we have seen recently that although the Vatican has recently taken steps to bring offending to light, a lot is still swept under the carpet and there is still a lot of denial by leading church members. See HERE


I hope that Robert and his Catholic friends have seen this film.


No comments: