Wednesday 27 March 2019

I'M SORRY - I WAS WRONG

Simon Bridges believes that New Zealand spy agencies' balance between privacy and security has tipped too far towards privacy, and should be revisited and is calling for a Royal Commission of Enquiry following the Christchurch terrorist attacks.

The Government Communications Security Bureau (GCSB) and the Security Intelligence Service (SIS), which have been criticised over an apparent lack of monitoring of right-wing extremists, will face some sort of inquiry - as well as the police, customs and immigration.
However, the terms of reference for the inquiry are yet to be established.
Both the SIS and GCSB have confirmed in written statements that they had no intelligence themselves or from any of their partners about the Australian man who's been charged with the shootings.
A 28-year-old man has been charged with murder, and more charges are likely, after a lone shooter killed 50 people and injured dozens at two Christchurch mosques on 15 March.
National Party leader Simon Bridges 
said yesterday New Zealand's security risk had "changed" and a review of security legislation was needed to make sure people were kept safe.
He said a decision made by the former National government in 2013 to abandon Project Speargun, a more intrusive regime which would have scanned internet traffic coming into New Zealand, should be reconsidered.
"I think we were overcautious in 2013/14," he told Morning Report today.
           - RNZ

A couple of years ago when the GCSB Bill was being debated I was in Auckland and went on the anti-bill rally. See:

LISTENING POST


GCSB

Admittedly my motive was driven by the unhealthy way that John Key's government was trying to rush through the bill but nevertheless I put my 'vote' towards a more liberal approach to government and public supervision.

I was wrong.

Unfortunately we have many people who hide behind political correctness and personal freedoms to foment and ferment their agendas of hate and intolerance. They are the winners here.



.

7 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Not sure what you are rambling on about but your sins are forgiven as far as I am concerned.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Now Robert forgives sins?

Richard (of RBB) said...

Political correctness. I often hear people use this term, followed by a racist or homophobic rant. Just saying.

Richard (of RBB) said...

I mean the people who don't buy into political correctness.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I guess that Robert finds it easier to subscribe to a belief in a fatuous religion than to actually read up on anything that's important.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

I read three editions of the Listener last night thinking I would find good journalistic comment but found them failing in a fatuous religious way too.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Well, I disagree but well done for reading The Listener. I can't see that any articles you read were "failing in a fatuous religious way" though.