Tuesday 26 March 2019

POPPYCOCK




Richard (of RBB) is obviously missing being a schoolteacher and being able to obfuscate students. An example is in his latest post where he put up an arithmetic test (not a mathematical one), where the answer depended on a belief in the dodgy principal of BODMAS.




According to BODMAS rule, if an expression contains brackets ((), {}, []) we have to first solve or simplify the bracket followed by of (powers and roots etc.), then division, multiplication, addition and subtraction from left to right.

To him and other Bodmasters this is fine if the mathematical formula was written down wrong - i.e. without brackets but to me, a purist, it's poppycock - POPPYCOCK (Pack Of Piss Poor Yobbishness Causing Obfuscation Contaminating Knowledge).

The brackets are essential otherwise the formula can be thrown away and started again.

I didn't get where I am today without knowing about mathematics having achieved an 'R' at university in the subject.

"I DIDN'T GET WHERE I AM TODAY WITHOUT  ...."

2 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

As long as you're happy darling.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I see that the tablets are working then.