Monday 30 November 2020

HOME TOWN

 This December trip of mine will be the last of the monthly trips that I've been doing to Wellington.

I feel that I haven't achieved all of the things that I would have liked to have done this year with the COVID 19 disruption, some health issues and the piss-poor weather (Wellington's worst for a number of years) but I did catch up with my sister Mary, Richard,  Shelley, Robert, Chris, Sue, Jane, Geoff and the fat fuck security guy at Wellington A&E so it hasn't been entirely unsuccessful.

I did manage to get out and about for a few good walking trips and to see some new things in the city counterpointing some of the older things that I remember from my days of living there.

This photo I took a couple of months ago (and use as a screensaver on my home computer), to me, encapsulates that:


The iconic image of the carillon that my dad was involved in its restoration in the 1960s, juxtaposed by the outstanding British memorial of a royal oak and a pohutakawa entwined, on the site of my old St Patrick's college and the Wellington tech workshops where I attended woodwork class while at Marist Newtown does it for me.

I didn't take enough photographs on my monthly trips this year but I have a few that I'll use in a few upcoming posts about my 'nostalgic' trip. I guess that this will please Richard as it means that I'll have to put off my planned features on decking, windows, the shed and the basement at our Whangarei Heads house.

It is what it is.

2 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

I think we need to have a remake of that outside chair blowing over event.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

That won't be a problem.
Given the popularity of the post relating to this and the significant fallout from the event, I agree that it needs a more thorough investigation (with a bit of embellishment). This could trigger a long series not unlike (in its sheer volume), Marcel Proust's 'À la recherche du temps perdu'.