Sunday 22 November 2020

GOLF IS DANGEROUS 2

 I went golfing yesterday afternoon after a morning of cutting lawns and weeding (the trailer is half full again). I played extremely well doing the first 9 holes at only 7 above par  which is good for me.

On the 4th hole, which is the one with the creek and steep bank that I fell down a couple of years ago - see: GOLF IS DANGEROUS  (the creek to the left of the 9th hole is the same one to the right on the 4th hole). I hit a great shot off the tee, keeping to the left of the dreaded creek. Here's the golf club's description of the hole on their website.


Hole 4 – Par 4 | 286m | 257m | Ladies Yellow – 272m

A short par 4 and our signature hole. A meandering creek has a huge impact on the drive and approach, running down the right side and the across the entire fairway. A well placed straight tee shot will leave you with an approach to an elevated long shallow green. The approach also has to negotiate the very large tree in the middle of the creek. There is no short approach shot to this hole and bunkers will catch anything long left.

Although my tee shot was a long way down the fairway and safe, as there was no-one following I decided to have a quick fossick for golf balls in the creek. Don't tell The Old Girl!*

I clambered down to the edge of the creek and spied two balls in the water which was about 3 to 4 feet deep at that point. One was sitting on a ledge over some large rocks. I had my trusty golf ball retriever with me - an extendable metal pole with a little cage at the end.


As I dipped the pole into the water a fairly large eel came out from a sort of cave under the rocks and attacked the pole. The eel was about one and a half to two metres long and was really aggressive. It bit the pole and wouldn't let go. I had to shake the pole and lift it up to stop the silly bugger. Each time I put the pole in it would have a go at it. Bastard. Eventually I managed to chase it back into its cave long enough to retrieve the golf ball and the other one. 

.

"Nice shiny balls down here matey. Come on in. Don't be a wuss!"


I don't like eels and am glad that I wasn't standing in the creek or had put my hands in to get the ball. See: BEING A WUSS


Oh, I nearly forgot. After the good tee shot I used a fairway wood to send the second shot over the large tree and the creek across the fairway to land just behind the elevated green. Chipped on but then two putted for a five.






* Actually I did confess this to her on our Facetime call last night and told her about my encounter with the eel. She said that if I'd fallen in and got mauled I would have gotten no sympathy from her. Charming! 

6 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Well done with the golf but you are a silly old bugger! My dad used to say that anyone can make a mistake but only a fool makes the same mistake twice! I don't want to hear about you sitting on Santa's knee half pissed again either with a trumpet (or whatever that glass is called) of fizzy wine.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

I think we need evidence. I've gone fishing with Peter for trout in the past. He had no quibbles about landing and killing trout. Why did he not simply pull the rod out of the stream with the eel attached and deliver a deathly blow using a device anglers call a "priest"?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Yes I did catch some trout and we cooked and ate them.

I don't eat eel though so have no intention of catching and killing anu.

Re evidence, you have no problems believing in mythical gods, virgin births, assumptions and ascensions into a mythical place in the sky named heaven and in a ridiculous concept called transubstantiation.


" ...deliver a deathly blow using a device anglers call a "priest""

Is it named that because it does your head in?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Any

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

You believe in a mythical concept that there is no God, virgin birth, assumptions and ascensions … and a ridiculous idea that you have no soul or eternal life.
I suppose the heavy rod was named a "priest" because of an analogy to the last rights.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

"I suppose the heavy rod was named a "priest" because of an analogy to the last rights."

No, it's because it does your head in.