Sunday 4 July 2021

A WALK IN THE WOODS*

* OK, I know, Bill Bryson penned the title first but he doesn't own the words.

It's such a beautiful day today that we went out early for a walk to Smugglers Bay. The sky was blue and, even though it was a crisp 11 degrees when we set out it was sunny and we soon warmed up.

This is a beautiful walk alternating between DOC farmland, beach and bush tracks.

Here are some pics I took.








It was only about a 5km loop walk but took in lots of different views:

  • Manaia mountain
  • The Hen and Chicken Islands
  • Busby Head
  • Frenchman's Island
  • The WW2 gun emplacements
We were followed by piwakawaka and saw kereru, paradise ducks, silver eyes, heron and other native birds. It was magic.

We also saw some cows who were 'on the job' -



- and what looked suspiciously like one of Robert's comments on the path.




Anyway, it was very pleasant (not the cow jobbies) and we worked up an appetite.

I cooked Eggs Rancheros for brunch (beaten eggs, chopped pepperoni, chopped jalapeƱos, grated cheese, mixed and cooked in a pan and served on toast).


Golf this afternoon while the Old Girl is working ( in my study!).

4 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Thank you I like the analogy to my comments being a source of life.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

I would not have served the Eggs Rhinoceros on toast.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

My egg dish is Eggs Rancheros.
How you name your egg dish is your business I guess but maybe if you make them hard and grey then 'Eggs Rhinoceros' is appropriate.

By the way I'll serve my eggs anyway I like thank you. I normally would have made Focaccia bread in advance of cooking this dish but didn't have time as we were out walking.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Ah, two boys having fun! Better leave them to it.