Saturday 24 July 2021

MIST MIST MIST

 We sometimes get mist up here and one of our local mountains, Mount Manaia is known as the misty mountain but today we've been having a real 'pea-souper'. When we woke and opened the curtains it was a total white-out and now four hours later it still is.

The bay is covered

Mount Manaia is shrouded

Mount Aubrey can't be seen


Here's a pic I took the other night of Manaia with the moon rising.



The local fire siren sounded an hour or so ago. I assume that it was alerting a car crash somewhere as the roads will be virtually undrivable.

*****************


I plan a slow day today. I'll finish installing the duckboards in the attic though. Yesterday I bought another 10 of them from Arthur's Emporium in town to add to the dozen I bought last week. $8 each for boards that are 1.8 metres long and 250mm wide. A bargain. I asked if they were going to get anymore but the answer was no as they were a one-off. This place is amazing. It's a large shop/warehouse that stocks just about anything. It's a local institution. It's always worth checking it out before going to other shops. In this case the boards I bought were about one fifth of the cost of buying from Bunnings or Mitre 10. They slot together to make flooring but I'm only going to use them 2-wide.



The Tokyo Olympics have started and I'll be watching as much as I can of this. I loved watching the New Zealand men's football team beat South Korea (bronze medal winners at the last Olympics) and one of the South Korean's refusing to shake the hand of the NZ player who scored the winning goal. Priceless.

The Old Girl bought me a PS4 console for my birthday (next month) an so I'll probably waste some time playing Battlefield 1 during the weekend.

I'm off to help Lawrence of Arabia in his desert campaign. Pip, pip. cheerio.



*AN UPDATE*


The sun is just starting burn off the mist.

Manaia is almost visible ...




...  and Aubry can now be clearly seen:



I might have to abandon the Play Station plan as The Old Girl no doubt will kick me outside.


*AN UPDATE ON THE UPDATE*

Yes, I was right. The Old Girl kicked me outside but to be fair she went with me on a walk to the now visible Mt Manaia.



It was a very pleasant walk. I've just got back and want to watch the kiwi cyclists at the Olympics at 2PM so still no Play Station for me.

 

2 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Nice photos. Enjoy the games. In Nelson for a couple of nights.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

OK Hardy.