Friday 9 July 2021

JUST A BOX OF RAIN

Look out of any window
Any morning, any evening, any day
Maybe the sun is shining
Birds are winging or rain is falling from a heavy sky .........

............. Just a box of rain
Wind and water
Believe it if you need it
If you don't, just pass it on
Sun and shower, wind and rain
In and out the window like a moth before a flame
I like that song and it came into my head when I was looking out 'any window' today at alternating rain and sunshine. It's a funny old day that has also alternated with cold and warm patches. I set the fire in the lounge but haven't lit it yet. I will if it gets colder later otherwise I'll leave it until The Old Girl comes home tomorrow. If it's cold and raining then a nice cheery blaze will be welcoming for her.

She's been away for a few days which has allowed me to do some things that I don't usually do when she's here like: use the study for blogging; have the kitchen radio blaring out the National programme all day; listen to my 'old' music without using earphones; stuff like that.
I miss her though and it'll be good to have her home tomorrow.

Richard, an old and nearly retired school teacher from Wellington probably didn't listen to the 'Dead' when he was younger. He was too busy trying to make sense of Stockhausen and  Penderecki which probably explains why he's a bit weird. It's kind of like those American horror films where the evil entity jumps from the bad guy to another host.



I wonder if the weirdness will jump from him to another host? Best not to shake hands with him.

He did offer some posting advice in one if his recent posts. I'd better pay attention to that as his posts might be scarcer in the future now that he's discovered 'comment posting' (don't ask). His advice is to fill out each post with some padding about what will be for dinner. Robert seems to use this a lot, and, while it doesn't improve his posts it does make them longer (which doesn't really recommend it I guess).

Any way - here's what I'm having for my dinner:


**FISH AND CHIPS**

Well, it is Friday and some of of those old catholic  things I learnt as a kid are hard to shake off.

We have fish most Fridays either as burgers or lightly pan fried with oven baked chips or tiny roast potatoes. These are always made from scratch. Tonight, as The Old Girl's not here to see, I'll coat the fish (snapper) in tempura batter and fry in an extra bit of oil. This will give a crispy coating while keeping the fish moist inside. I've already par-boiled the sliced potatoes for a few minutes and added a teaspoon of baking soda to the boiling water which assists in making the chips crunchy. I drained and shook these in the pot with a little bit of olive oil for coating and will roast later before I cook the fish. Yum!

Enough padding?



7 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

I need to keep my mouth shut!

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Must remember baking soda to add crunch. We were discussing fish on fridays as we drove to Lowry Bay. The best explanation I have heard is that it is one day a week when people say "Oh they must be Catholic, they eat fish on friday".

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Yep - old traditions take a long time to die.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Why do my posts get much more comments than this blog can generate?

Richard (of RBB) said...

Why do my posts get much more comments than this blog can generate?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Thanks, that helps.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Thanks, that helps.