Saturday 17 February 2024

DYB DYB DYB

 It pays to be prepared.



(The kilt is there for Robert).

The old disparager from Whyonearthdoesitmatter made fun of my gumboot purchase yesterday. Well, disparager, this morning my neighbour alerted me to a water leak behind the retaining wall at the bottom of the driveway.




Fortunately the leak is on the roadside of the water Toby so it is the council's problem. The water to the house is still running.

I cut and dug out yukkas and other foliage around the Toby to make it easier for the workers.


This took me a couple of hours and I'm stuffed now as it is really hot today.

I had called the council first thing and got a call back from Downer's who have the council water maintenance contract. The guy said he was on a job at Ruakaka (about an hour away) and would get to mine ASAP.

They've just arrived and identified a much larger leak than I thought - a gusher - right behind the retaining wall and very low down. After consultation we agreed that they will dig a hole through the concrete at the bottom of our drive and run a new line from the mains on the road to the Toby thus by-passing the broken pipe or line. They will 'tuck' the new line in behind the retaining wall. This is less invasive and will mean that they won't need to get the digger in to dig up the neighbour's property. Hopefully this will work OK.





I showed them my new boots and offered my services. I think they were impressed but they said that they would be all right and that I could 'stand by' in case I was needed.


Standing by

It pays to be ready. Dyb dyb!

5 comments:

THE CURMUDGEON said...

All done. Those Downer guys are the bees knees.
I was surprised though that they didn't call on me for assistance. I had the boots on and all - now I just have to get the damned things off to go for a swim.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Maybe I should have taken Robert's advice and worn my kilt*









* Last worn in 1985 but I'm sure it still fits.

Richard (of RBB) said...

But what's worn under the kilt?

Richard (of RBB) said...

Well, you are getting old.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

The oldies are the goodies aren't they?*





* Well, at least in Lower Hutt.