Friday 12 February 2021

"I AM THE GOD OF HELLFIRE - AND I BRING YOU ...."

 

FIRE



Yes, I'm on fire - or, I was this morning when I played a scorching round of golf.

I hadn't played for a little while but this morning the weather was so lovely - blue sky, warm without being too hot and only a pleasant breeze - that I went out and played  nine holes. I played the back nine for a change. My golf was the best that I've maybe ever played nine holes in a row and I was only two  shots over par.

That pleased me but even more so, I eagled the seventeenth hole which is a number stroke play hole. To explain this to non-golfers which is basically the whole readership of this popular blog, an eagle is when you play two shots better than par. It's rare. This was a par four hole so an eagle on a par four is like getting a hole-in-one on a par three. Number two stroke play means that it is considered the second hardest hole on the course.


I hit a great tee shot down the fairway and, as this par four is quite long, had to use a fairway wood for the next shot. I hit it very well and the ball arced its way to the green, dead on course for the flag. It bounced just before the green and rolled up and over the edge. As I approached I couldn't see the ball on the green. This could only mean one thing - the ball was in the hole. As the flag was still in the hole the ball must have gently rolled to the cup and then in, without bouncing off the flagpole. BEAUTY!

This is only the second eagle that I've had on this golf course, the other, a couple of years ago on another par four where I hit a good tee shot and the next shot from the middle of the fairway (with a 6-iron) to the green and down the hole.

It was a great morning and The Old Girl said "My Hero!" when I told her.

I also told her that as I was playing such hot golf I didn't bother looking for golf balls. This pleased her even more.

5 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Celebrations!
The blogging community has a hero too!
Maybe we should call you Eagle Man from now on.
Well done!

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

"This could only mean one thing - the ball was in the hole".

It reads like you made the argument and walked away without the proof!


If there are neat name like ace, eagle, and sparrow for under par why are the names for over par so boring i.e. first boggy, second boggy, third boggy?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Boggy?

So you don't like silly words and names then?

What's your take on these?

Paraclete.
Transubstantiation.
Oikonomia.
Anamnesis.
Celibacy.
Concupiscence.
Excommunication.
Virgin Birth.
And, the best for last, Saint Hilarious.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Yes, thanks Richard for the 'Eagle Man' suggestion but it's a bit too close for comfort to 'Eddie Te Eagle' which was used for Michael Edwards as an opprobrium.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

'Eddie Te Eagle'

Did you notice the clever way that I translated 'Eddie The Eagle' to Te Reo Maori?