Saturday 27 February 2021

RAKIURA STEWART ISLAND - PART TWO

PART TWO

PREPARATION AND HYGIENE.

We were going away for 8 days so decided to each take our own suitcase (limited to 15KG weight due to the restrictions on the small plane to Rakiura Stewart Island). Normally we share a suitcase, a larger one which The Old Girl packs and keeps control of.
This time I packed mine and she packed hers.

There are no surprises here.

A depiction of my suitcase





A representation of The Old Girl's suitcase


Efforts to sneak in items of mine into her case were intercepted and ruthlessly dealt with. Ow!


With regards to hygiene I packed a toilet bag stock full of soap, shampoo (my needs are less than in days of yore), deodorant, Eau de Cologne, shaving gel, razor, sunscreen and insect repellant.
I packed two pairs of shorts, 6 Tee Shirts, one fancy shirt, 6 pairs of socks and 8 pairs of underpants (why are these in pairs?). Note that the underpants I took bear no relation to my favourites of years ago. see: HERE

The Old Girl, after seeing this post from July 2016 was so embarrassed she threw out all of my favourite and comfortable underwear and bought and made me go out and buy, lots of new items. I went out and bought new versions of my comfortable favourites with names like Jockey and Swanndri. She bought trendy brands like Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren and, get this, Elle Macpherson! What's that about?

Anyway, once all packed and underway, when in Invercargill, with time on our hands I declared that I was going to get a haircut. We drove around and discovered The Hair Mechanics.


The guy that cut my hair - the one with the hat at the top left of this photo - was a real ageing bogan. He played a great selection of 1960s American and British R&B (Stan Webb, Buddy Guy, Peter Green, Al Green - lots of them). I complimented him on his choice of music and we got on well. He asked if I want a full tune-up which I declined as we were short of time but I asked what was on offer. He went through a list which included ear waxing and nose waxing but I put a hand out to stop him there. I said I didn't want to know anymore.  He gave me a really good haircut (for me) which changed me from this:



To this:




I suspect though, that in a few weeks I'll go back to looking like this:




More later.










8 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

The title should have been "Numbers" like in the old testament which starts with a long list of genealogies before getting on with the story. Or even "Prep for Rakiura/Stewart Island".

Nevertheless dare I say I wait with baited breath.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Better clean your teeth and gargle with Listerine then.*










* The word is 'bated'.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Waiting with bated breath makes as little sense. Maybe if I said I waited with abated breath?

Richard (of RBB) said...

Glad you had a haircut.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

"Maybe if I said I waited with abated breath?"

OK then.


ABATED:
verb
past tense: abated; past participle: abated

- reduce or remove (a nuisance).

Go for it.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Or, you could mean 'ablated':

ABLATE

verb
past tense: ablated; past participle: ablated

1. remove (body tissue) surgically.
"therapeutic intervention to ablate existing cancer cells"
2.gradually remove material from or erode (a surface or object) by melting, evaporation, frictional action, etc., or erode (material) in this way.
"drying winds slowly ablate away the ice"

Yep, that works.

"Robert ablated his silly catholic beliefs as he embraced (an even sillier) modernism ideology."

THE CURMUDGEON said...

"Glad you had a haircut."

Thanks Richard but you haven't seen it yet.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Maybe he just heard about it and not seeing it in no way means it was not truth!