Tuesday 20 April 2021

EXERCISE

 


The swapping gym membership for golf membership has only worked to improve my golf and the quantity of golf balls I have, not necessarily to get exercise. My dodgy knee limits me from doing long daily walks and as a result I notice my fitness declining. The Old Girl, who runs and walks every other day has been complaining of hip pain in the other hip (she had a hip replacement operation a couple of years ago). We've decided to get an exercise bike.

I'm looking online for one. They name the better and more expensive ones 'Spin Bikes'.


These things cost anything from $700 to $2000 to buy new and second hand ones anything between $400 and $1000. I don't want to end up paying a lot of money for a bit of junk that'll sit in the shed unused so have been looking at hire options. The idea is to hire one for a couple of months to see if it is suitable and then to buy one. This plan has proven to be easier in thought than action. In Whangarei there isn't a lot of choice in hire places and the offerings are quite ordinary.


We don't want a cheap and cheerful machine as past experience has shown that we won't use it. We want one that's serious with the 'bells and whistles' to encourage us to make proper use of it. I get bored using exercise machines and, to get through 30 or 40 minutes in the gym I would take a book to read while I pedalled. This requires some sort of shelf or platform at the front of the bike to support a book or an iPad. Cheaper spin bikes don't have these.

Now here's an interesting thing.* When I called in to Mr Rental to enquire about exercise bikes, although the offerings were ordinary he told me that there were none available for hire anyway. There is a waiting list. Apparently the hospital generally performs hip and knee operations in a two month period which has just finished. The patients, as part of recovery are encouraged to use exercise bikes rather than going for walks and, as such, at this time of year there are none available.

I may have to take the plunge and buy a second hand one at the top end of about $800 without having a chance to trial it. I'll keep looking at reviews though. I have an alert on Trade Me but to date there have been none available in Northland. I'll have to consider driving to Auckland to collect one if I purchase it.

Maybe I should buy two so that The Old Girl and I can go riding together.









* At The Curmudgeons Incⓒ we like to keep our readers informed with interesting things.


5 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Actually I could use one of those bikes right now. I've had a bit of gout for the last few weeks. Obviously my first thought was to make fun of this post, until I realised my own predicament. Maybe I should now go along to mass with Robert - and work part-time in the church shop?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Sorry to hear that. Gout can be bloody painful.
It's just as well that you wear those big comfy slippers all the time though as that will be easier on your big toes.
Yes, mass with Robert might be a good idea. The eucharist is low fat, yeast and gluten free and the altar wine is low alcohol. There's not much call for truck drivers at the church shop though and, as you were never promoted to work in the shop, you lack experience.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

We can do that. My next time on is May 16th 9 am.

Richard (of RBB) said...

I'll be there Rob. I've got a few condoms that I'd like to sell

THE WINE GUY said...

There's probably a market for indulgences, tickets to the Big Gay Out and vouchers for certain medical procedures for women as well.