Friday 18 June 2021

HEART FULL OF SOUL *

 * I was going to name this post GOOD FOR THE SOUL but then remembered that excellent Graham Gouldman song 'Heart Full Of Soul'.

HEART FULL OF SOUL - THE YARDBIRDS

The Yardbirds performed the first version I heard and liked but Chris Isaak and Gouldman himself have done good versions.

The song's lyrics and meaning have nothing to do with how I feel this morning but hey, I like the song!

Why do I feel good and run the risk of silly Christians banging on about how soul is given by a Catholic god and none other. Bullshit of course.

I awoke to a glorious day of sunshine, blue sky and very calm conditions. This is certainly a big change from the severe storms we've had recently. The harbour was (and still is) smooth and inviting.


I decided to take the kayak out.

Because of the calm conditions I went out much further than usual, right across the deepwater channel, around the island and skirted all the little bays in the larger McLeod Bay area. I paddled for 2 and a half hours.

The scenery was beautiful made all the better by the calm weather and the fact that it's winter and the air is crisp so that the outlines of the hills and mountains are well defined. I had a clear view west across to the mountain range that separates Whangarei from Dargaville. Mount Manaia and Mount Aubrey were perfectly reflected in the water.

As I paddled, several times I went through shoals of small flying fish that scooted across the top of the water - piper I think. On the eastern shore a dog scared up a huge flock of sunbathing oystercatchers that surrounded my kayak. There must have been a hundred of them almost within reach.

Of course, thanks to Mr Murphy, I didn't have a camera with me so was unable to record all of these wonderful things.

I only sighted one stingray which 'flew' away as I glided over it but that was satisfying as it matched the stingray sculpture we just bought. We are going to visit the sculptor today to commission him to make a kereru. The Old Girl found a calendar painting that she wants him to use as a design.


All in all the exercise was good for the soul and, as a bonus good for the body. The knotted muscle in my back and shoulder has been freed up from the paddling motion so I won't need to get a deep tissue massage now.


How is your day going?



8 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Fine thanks. Lots of bass practice. It's wet and cold down here in Nuova Lazio.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Well you can look forward to going to Hell then.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Is it as bad as that motel in Turangi?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I'm not sure but it will definitely be warmer which is a positive, certainly where Turangi motels are concerned (I usually drive further on to find a better one with friendlier owners).

Richard (of RBB) said...

Robert will know.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

The sign over the entrance says it all... "Abandon all hope those who enter here".

Richard (of RBB) said...

Ah, now Robert is talking about the Turangi motel that we stayed at.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Dante also wrote “The devil is not as black as he is painted.” but I doubt that Robert would repeat that.