Friday 15 December 2023

A HARD ONE

 


Look, let's face it, the Sunday quiz and the Sunday riddle didn't go down well with you pack of cheats and ungrateful bastard readers.  That's a shame as I was just trying to introduce a little excitement to your lives.

Before I abandon this project entirely I'll give you one last chance - a conundrum. Let's call it the Sunday Conundrum. Who knows, it might become a regular feature.

For this conundrum a really fabulous prize is up for grabs* so I suggest that you dust off those cobwebs in your heads and get thinking.

Here we go:

Three women go to a restaurant to dine. They receive a bill for $300. They each put $100 on the table, which the waiter collects and takes to the till. The restaurant manager informs the waiter that the bill should only have been for $250 and returns $50 to the waiter in $10 bills. On the way back to the table the waiter realises that he cannot divide the bills equally between the women. As they didn't know the total of the revised bill, he dishonestly decides to put $20 in his own pocket and give each of the women $10. Now that each woman has been given $10 back, each of the women has paid $90. Three times 90 is 270. The waiter has $20 in his pocket. Twenty plus 270 is $290. The women originally handed over $300. Where is the missing ten dollars?

I know that this is the Sunday Conundrum but, as it is difficult I'm allowing you an extra two days to solve this. Robert, if you want I absolve you from attending Mass on the weekend if you need extra time to concentrate. Richard ... well, do your best. 





* It's a really fabulous prize so give it your best shot and don't sin.


8 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

A third of 250 83.3333...
which is what each woman paid of the $250.
Each woman received received $10 back. 93.33333... x 3 = 279.9999....
Close enough to $280. Only $20 outstanding.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Well, it’s just as well that you’re a good musician.
I’d leave mathematics to someone else, OK?

Richard (of RBB) said...

Okay, let's make it simple for you.
In the end, after having been refunded $10 each, each woman had paid $90 (total $270), and the meal cost $250.
They'd now overpaid by $20, which the waiter had stolen.
There was no 'left over' $10.

What did they teach you guys in 3P?

Richard (of RBB) said...

Where's my prize?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Where's your prize?
I suggest you look up the true meaning of 'fabulous'.
Well done 3G guy. I bet you never heard that back in the day. That can be your prize.

Richard (of RBB) said...

I WON!!!

😀👍🌈🎯😎😀🎻

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Yeah, I could hardly believe it as well.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

I could see a problem with" Twenty plus 270 is $290." Thinking that somehow it should have been minus not plus.
But I didn't reason it out...
so I admit defeat.