Sunday 6 January 2019

BYE BYE SEAGULL

I cut up leftover bread into small bits and soak them in sugar or honey water before putting out on the deck for the birds. I mainly cater to sparrows, blackbirds, swallows, thrushes and the occasional tui. The kingfishers aren't interested, nor the kereru but every now and then the minor birds swoop in and scare away the sparrows.
What I don't like is when the seagulls get interested as they are noisy, aggressive and messy.


I used to put the bread on the deck rails but the seagulls can spot it too easily there so I've taken to sprinkling it on the deck between the pot plants. The seagulls sometimes see it there though and I have to chase them away with a broom. I said to The Old Girl this morning that I was going to get a shangeye to keep them away. She said that I could hurt them using that but I said I would use jaffas.

Not these



These

I can make a shangeye like I used to do when I was a kid if I can find the right bit of wood which I think I have in the garden.



That was the plan.


*****************


This afternoon I went for a walk around the bay keeping to the shoreline as the tide was out and must have strayed near to where some seagulls were nesting as I was repeatedly attacked by quite a few aggressive ones.



I had to shoo them away by waving my arms around over my head when I could hear them approaching or see their shadows getting closer.

Bastards!

Well they've shot themselves in their webbed feet I can tell you. I might revise my plan and buy a more substantial shangeye or a slingshot.




And maybe instead of jaffas I could go for some more substantial ammo.






4 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

An over reaction to the creatures who share your habitat.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Right, let's see what you say when you get attacked by seagulls.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Wellington airport might hire you.

Richard (of RBB) said...

"Right, let's see what you say when you get attacked by seagulls."
Matey, I've been attacked by cows.