Saturday 19 January 2019

DRIVING BY MOONLIGHT





I've been re-reading Lee Child's Reacher series of novels recently. This has proved to me that the earlier ones are better and that he's gone off the boil in the last two.
In the one I just finished Reacher and a policewoman are driving on a highway at night trying to go unnoticed by the bad guys. Reacher suggested that the policewoman turns the headlights off and drive instead by looking at the infrared screen she has on the dashboard.

******************

I did this once. It was at about 1 O'Clock in the morning and I was driving the Turangi to National Park road to get to Chateau Tongariro at Whakapapa. 



It was a beautiful clear night with a full moon. There was no traffic on this road at that time of night so I turned my headlights off, opened all of the windows and drove under the stars and moonlight with the clean and frigid alpine air blasting in. I played music on the CD player, probably Miles Davis's Kind of Blue, Carl Orff's Carmina Burana and some Pink Floyd which would have suited the occasion well.




I remember this being magic.

It was in the mid-1980s. I wouldn't do it now.

3 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Mio Dio!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Your god?
So you have one as well as Robert?

Richard (of RBB) said...

Yes, I call him Alamy and he really does exist in your photos.