Wednesday 16 January 2019

I MISS MY DAD'S SHED

I miss my dad's shed. The 'shed' I mean, I guess was the garage and the basement in Vogeltown.
he had a couple of sheds up the back of the property but one was for chickens and the other for explosives - see HERE

Dad's garage had all sorts of things  in it both useful and junk that were great to pick through whenever we wanted to make something.



My grandad on my mother's side had a great shed as well. This was on a farm and was an old shearing shed. The stuff in  this was different from the city stuff and more exotic. It didn't take much digging in the dust to find live bullets for example.



Nowadays I don't have access to a shed. I've never been a 'handyman' type person so haven't built up a big collection of tools and all of the bits that go along with them. The 'bits' are those boxes and jars full of nails, screws, nuts and bolts and every sort of plumbing, building, electrical and mechanical bric a brac that comes in handy.

The few 'bits and bobs' that I've had in the past all disappeared when we went overseas for a couple of years and put all of our good possessions in storage. Now, when I want to repair something I don't have a ready made repository to access. It's annoying when all I want is an eye-hook or a nut and bolt to have to go to a hardware store to buy it. I want to make a blowgun to fire chickpeas at the seagulls. In the past I'd be able to fossick in dad's or the old girl's fathers garages or sheds to find exactly what I want. Now I'll have to go to a builder's supplies yard or hardware place and end up buying much more than I want.

I miss my dad's shed.


10 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

The seagulls are happy though.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Funny you say that. I got 'bombed' again today by some seagulls while I was out walking so I might acquire something a bit more aggressive like a slug gun or a bb gun that I can fire plastic pellets through.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Robert would fire pallets at them.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Or palates.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Or palettes.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Maybe pilates.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Or pilots.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Or Pontius Pilates.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Or the holy ejaculation.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Or keep away from where they nest.