Wednesday 20 October 2021

WORK IN PROGRESS THREE

 Day three of the doors and window project went well today accompanied by another glorious day. It's been like summer this week - hot and sunny and windless (the weather forecast called for rain all week!).

There was quite a bit of work to be done replacing the rotted sill and some surrounding weatherboards of the study window. The builder, Don is a perfectionist and likes to get things just right. "He's not slap-dash like you Matey" said The Old Girl. Bit rude I thought. He's a cabinet maker by trade and has his own art/hobby business making artistic furniture. I always know that he will do a good job and fix those 'unseen' things that others might leave.

Once the sill and surrounds were done we pulled out the old wooden sash windows. Robert I know will view this like ripping the foetus out of a womb but, needs must.

.


The new, double glazed window was heavy even after Don removed the bottom 'sash'. We poked it out from inside and I got on the scaffold and supported the frame while we slotted it into the hole. It fitted perfectly asI knew it would. Don's attention to detail in measuring is very reliable, not like .... well, you know what The Old Girl says about me.


We fitted the lower sash and now have a fully functioning, weatherproof and reliable window.

Here's the view from outside. There will still be finishing touches inside and out with architraves and surrounds.


Now, the more observant of you readers would have noticed my use of 'we' when reporting on the 'windowing' activity. I was appointed Number 1 apprentice and was trusted with tasks like holding things, lifting things, passing things and supporting things. I was most pleased. I was also given the important duty of sanding down and undercoating the exposed bits of wood in the frame.

That's a paint brush in case you were wondering.

A job well done today even if I say so myself.

Don did some finishing to previous work done and prepping for jobs to come. He organised delivery of materials (wooden beams and panels) that amazingly were delivered today as Northland has now dropped to Level 2 from the previous Level 3.   

Tomorrow and following days we have two bedroom windows to replace and then tackle the big job of ripping out the front bedroom window set and installing a very large French doors piece.

Meanwhile, I set about doing a bit of tidy-up after Don left, putting off-cuts in in the trailer, sweeping up and bucketing sawdust and vacuuming the study floor. I've mentioned observant readers before and, within that vast set there obviously will be some who remember previous posts and will recall my purchase of the industrial quality vacuum cleaner from one of my favourite Op-Shops.

Remember me?

The Old girl was very impressed at the power of this and I was secretly pleased that one of my "silly and unnecessary second-hand purchases' ) her words. had come in handy.

Now, as for The Old Girl, with all of the intrusive activity in her office (previously my study) she moved some of her computer gear into the dining area where I've had my laptop set up (ever since I got kicked out of the study).


I hope that the study/office is finished soon .





3 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

It sounds like TC is doing a good job tidying up after Ron the builder. His next job will be to tidy up his grammar.

"The Old girl was very impressed at the power of this and I was secretly pleased that one of my "silly and unnecessary second-hand purchases' ) her words. had come in handy."

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Ha, the builder's name is Don!

Richard (of RBB) said...

Near enough. He's a builder. As long as he wasn't called something like Moonchild or Vanhunter.