Wednesday 14 September 2022

APPLE TIES

 

"Surprise"


I note that Robert has been having some problems setting up his new computer and that this might place limitations on his posting and commenting on the blogs.



Being without Robert's posts and comments is like being without  ........ never mind.

But seriously though I hope that he gets it sorted though as it's a bugger having to battle with computers and software. 


I just bought a new (refurbished) iPad series 9 which is quite a  step up from the series 2 that I bought 9 years ago. The old one worked OK but Apple, in their canny and sneaky wisdom has made it impossible to upgrade to the newer operating systems that are required to connect with, well, basically everything. I got frustrated at being unable to access mail, blogs, games, news sites and may other things so bit the bullet and bought the series 9. I got it at a good price, about half the cost of a brand new one and the refurbished ones come with original Apple packaging and guarantees.

What it also comes with is the very annoying Apple connectivity. This is where, if more than one Apple device is owned Apple thinks it's a good idea for the machines to cuddle up and swap information, photos, files - everything. This becomes extremely frustrating when trying to change passwords and settings on one device without one of the others interfering. We've got several Apple devices:

  • The new series 9 iPad
  • The old series 2 iPad
  • The Old Girl's series 1 iPad
  • The old Mac desktop computer
  • The new Mac desktop computer
  • My Macbook Air laptop.
  • My old series 6 iPhone
  • My 'new' series 8 iPhone

The old iPhone and Mac desktop I usually have disconnected but if I do turn them on they are like little overactive puppies trying to get to know everyone.

When I bought the iPhone 8 I had similar issues and shut down a lot of the iCloud functions.

With this new iPad I've tried to follow the internet instructions which on the face of it is simple but are actually useless.



Well that didn't work so I've been going through the settings of all of the devices looking for any 'sharing' functions and turning them off when I find them.


In my internet search I discovered this:


The guy asking the question described himself as an accomplished technician in the building trade but for the life of him he couldn't make sense of the advice and information he was being given.

I scanned through the Q trail which went on over an 18 month period and noted that he was getting more and more frustrated. I guess he went out and bought a Samsung or something.


I feel the same. Once I've turned off all of the crappy and unwanted sharing functions and deleted all of the unnecessary and battery wasting Apps I'll be down to:

  • Calls
  • Texts
  • Occasional eMail
  • Photos
  • Blogs when I'm not using the desktop or laptop computers.
Sometimes I feel that the computer and communication industry is just getting too smart for itself.






5 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Totally agree. There is another strange one that if you have already used an email address then you have to have another one handy. By chance I do, but it boggles the imagination why.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Good to see you boys having a good time.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Thanks mum.

Richard (of RBB) said...

But don't sin.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Too late mum. Heather, the older neighbour caught me in the bushes back in 1963. I think it was a sin. I confessed it just in case.