Monday 26 September 2022

PERDITION

 I like that word 'perdition'. I used it in a comment on Robert's latest post: 



Richard doesn't believe in Hell but then, he probably doesn't read his own posts.

Hell and the other silly, made-up things in Christianity and especially Catholicism has wonderful Gothic associations that have inspired artists and writers over the centuries. Grunewald's The Temptation of Saint Anthony is one of my favourites:


An interesting subject that's been used by Schongauer, Michelangelo, Bosch and others. One of the best things I studied at university was Renaissance Art.

'Perdition' is one of the strongest hell-related words created. Usually said in a sonorous voice by do-gooders "You're on the road to perdition" is much more evocative than other words.


Anyway, if Robert's on that road I hope that he loosens up and enjoys the trip.






I must re-watch the Sam Mendes film Road To Perdition.









No comments: