Tuesday 20 September 2022

CONTACT SPORTS

 I was good at sports - soccer, rugby, cricket, softball, athletics - even tennis.

Rugby in the open weight grades at university though was tough and even though I was fast I wasn't big enough to shrug off the tackles of the Neanderthals who were at least half my weight again and invariably I was injured with sprains, concussions and once with a split nose that required many stitches.

I gave up after two years of under 19 and under 20 rugby.

In recent years my sports activity is golf and tennis but I seem to be able to get injured playing these.

See: GOLF IS DANGEROUS

Today it seems that tennis is a rough contact sport as well. In a lively rally my partner, Karen smashed a return while I was closer to the net than her and unfortunately I turned my head to watch her shot. The shot went astray and hit me full on in the face.

SPLAT!

Damn it hurt. It made my eyes water so bad I couldn't see and had to stop playing briefly. I was worried that my now was broken - my nose being a significant feature of my visage - but fortunately it wasn't. It wasn't bleeding either which was a relief as I take blood thinner medication and might have emptied out over the tennis court. 

Bloody tennis!

I might have to take up some more sedentary pursuits like croquet but, with my luck. some old dame might scone me with a mallet.




6 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

A relief that your now wasn't broken.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Thanks but it might have given me that rugged look that attracts the ladies and scares off the bad guys.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

"Visage" a person's facial expression! I know Richard can move his ears up and down, but try as I might I can not do anything with my nose apart from enlarging the nostrils.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

"Visage - a person's face, with reference to the form or proportions of the features."

Robert, I don't know why you always try this sort of thing on.
Your reading and comprehension abilities often are at a primary school level which might of course explain your acceptance of the nonsense in The Catechism.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

OK, it took a while but I've now noticed the typo 'now' instead of 'nose'.
I should have picked up on this on Richard's comment where he appeared to not make fun of my sore nose.
I suppow he thinks that's funny.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Proofreading could have saved that little embarrassment.