Thursday 9 February 2023

BEING GULLED

 


The other day I saw a juvenile Southern black-backed gull (karoro) at the water's edge that seemed to be in trouble. It was with another  juvenile. 


The one that concerned me was flapping its wings and jumping up while in shallow water. It looked like one of its feet was trapped in fishing line or net.

I put on gloves and grabbed a pair of scissors and headed down to the beach. On approaching, the other juvenile flew off and 'my' bird stayed, flapping its wings still. I cautiously approached wondering how I was going to grab it and hold it if I had to cut through the impediment.

I noticed some other juveniles and two adult karoro - probably mum and dad, watching me closely from a raised section of rocks.


"Here we go" I thought. As soon as I grabbed the juvenile I'd be attacked like Tippi Hedren in 'The Birds'.



As it happened though, as I neared the juvenile, it flapped its wings again, jumped up and down a couple of times and flew away.

I looked over to mum and dad and they looked back with smug expressions on their faces (if possible) and called out "ee-ah-ha-ha-ha ee-ah-ha-ha-ha ee-ah-ha-ha-ha" to my back as I left.


I discovered by searching the internet that karoro chicks - juveniles - are taught to fly at about two months old and are often seen practising - under the watchful eyes of their parents - until they master the art and are then on their own.

I've been watching them with more interest now and often see juveniles wheeling about in the sky, apparently aimlessly but really, learning to manage the air currents and the wind.

5 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

I both read and comprehended.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Well, that's an improvement I guess. Next step is analysis, opinion and informed comment.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Hey, I'm proud of you for trying to help.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Yeah - but when I went out on my kayak to help the dolphin and her calf she splashed me with her tail (which nearly swamped me) and ruined my Canon G5 camera.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I'd do it again though.